Why do people attack innocent women for wearing hijab but have no problem with nuns (and Jewish women)?

Why is it when an innocent Muslim women who freely made the choice to cover her hair, she gets attacked and either called a terrorist or oppressed but when Christian women make the same choice and become nuns no one bats an eye? Same thing goes for Jewish women, I know Jewish women face anti-semitism but they don't get shit for covering their hair...

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 16

• As others have pointed out, Christians and Jews don't hijack planes and use them as missiles, they don't blow themselves up in crowded places, they don't hack off people's heads and burn people alive.

But it's more than that. The "Average Joe" Muslim does NOTHING to distance themselves from the terrorists. Years ago when that one guy was talking about burning a Koran I had a brief conversation with a Muslim coworker about it, he said NOTHING in protest about what the terrorists do, unless you count "if you're against what they (the terrorists) do then that's one thing".

Muslims, generally speaking, have given very little, if any, reason to be trusted.

• So in order for terrorism to be considered terrorism it has to consist of hijacking and crashing planes? Do you not consider the KKK to be terrorists? What about Zionists? Pro-lifers who bomb clinics in the name of their Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ? There is Christian terrorism in India, Ireland, the States, Lebanon, Uganda and more. As for Jewish terrorists, do you not consider Israeli bombers and shooters who kill Israeli Arabs terrorists? And yes, Christians have burnt MANY people alive (don't forget lynching!).

Even if you're an atheist, no one should think it's okay to burn a religions holy book, it's makes you a cunt and it's funny you say that Muslims haven't given reason to be trusted but what have Jews and Christians done? Jews literally stole my country and Christians are responsible for some of the worst atrocities AND they started the plague but despite all of this Christians are not generalized.

• @NateInAk yes I was well aware that the KKK is a group of far-left extremists, they're also protestants, not Christians, it's a requirement to join the KKK.

• I didn't know the Protestant thing.
      I was also speaking to the asker, who seems to think the existence of the KKK means Christianity is as much involved in terrorism as Islam.

• im assuming its due to the context of the nature for both. Nuns are associated with a different religion, Catholicism, no one has caused terror to the United States in the name of Catholicism like others have done with Islam, so when people see Hijab, they immediately go full retard ignorant fuck mode and start judging and bashing out.

• Well, the answer to your question is pretty simple. Obviously, there exists some extreme bias/double standard in society. Why is that? Well, western countries are mostly christian. In America, it's a very active, practiced type of christianity while Europe is largely secular but many Europeans consider christianity nonetheless important as cultural/traditional pillar of their societies. As a European I should also mention that racism in North America and Europe works very differently. Racism in North America is mostly built around the idea of ethnicities (blacks against whites, whites against Asian etc.). This idea is not really present here in western Europe . Most Europeans don't really care about whether you're black or you have almond-shaped eyes. Instead, European racism is usually about two things: religion and nationality. So there are a lot Europeans who don't like other Europeans although both of them are white, simply because those other Europeans have a different nationality. And if they're not christian, that's even worse. Obviously, christians wouldn't hate against their own people (nuns etc.). So that's that.
    Now for jews: The thing with jews is that they are unfortunately treated like babies by Europeans and Americans since world war two. By that I mean that they are constantly protected, cared for and supported. Europeans and Americans both feel extremely bad for what happened to the jews in world war two. This led to a strange ideology of stigmatizing criticism against jews. Especially conservatives embrace this ideology. Many republican senators and congressmen have very, very strong ties to influential jews in America. This is also why America tends to constantly support Israel, even if they do something absolutely outrageous. Both in Europe and in North America, many people think something like: "those jews are so poor, let's not say anything mean to them". Many are also scared to be called anti-semit if they dear to criticise jews in any way. This whole situation is additionally charged by the fact that many jews themselves see themselves as victims and like to be sort of whiny when they are criticised.
    Muslims on the other hand are very easy to criticise. They haven't been our victims in the past and they make it additionally easy by having a very small minority of crazies who gave Islam a rather bad name.

• This is a very good point and very well put but I'd like to point out that anti-semitism is alive and well in Europe . Just look in the news and you'll see all the attacks on synagogues and innocent Jews. I'm a Palestinian, fiercely defensive of my identity but it makes me sick to see so many people denying the horrendous treatment of Jews in this day and age. America may be sucking Israels dick but Jews are still being attacked.

• You are absolutely right about Islamophobia being a central part of society nowadays... it's really sad. But yeah, anti-semitism is mostly present in France and Denmark, I'm British and I live in an area with the highest Jewish population in London and while I've never witnessed anti-semitism I've heard of incidents here. Are the Swiss Islamophobic?

• They can be, yes. Our largest political party is called SVP (Swiss people's party) and somewhat similar to the British UKIP. They generally dislike foreigners and in particular foreigners who happen to be non-European and/or muslims. Because we have direct democracy (which I generally think is a good thing), there are more chances for islamophobia to have practical influences in every-day life. Maybe you've heard about this nationwide initiative that was accepted by roughly 55% of the Swiss population to ban minarets in 2008 or so. Some of our cantons (counties) in the French part of Switzerland and the Ticino have also enacted bans on burkas and wearing a head-scarf in schools. I think generally speaking, we do have Islamophobia but it is very, very subtle. Like British people, Swiss also tend to be very subtle people. They're not the type who would physically assault jews like in France. They would rather swear about them behind their backs or throw legal stones in their ways.

• Because no one ever heard about Catholic suicide bombers or Jewish suicide bombers, and because "innocent" Muslims refuse to speak out against radical Muslims.

• en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_religious_terrorism
      http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism

And if you don't think Muslims have spoken out about terrorism, you obviously haven't been paying attention. But then, that's already been made abundantly clear, so I'm really not surprised.
      http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6429710

• Also, thank you @cipher42 for your links

• I never said that radical Jews don't exist, I said that no one remembers hearing about them (because incidents of Jewish terrorism are isolated and infrequent.) They don't kill hundreds or thousands at once, and they don't take over cities and countries. And, yes, in 2015, Muslims finally spoke out about one particular incident of radical Muslims doing something outrageous. Congratulations. Again, this is why most non-Muslims feel the way they do about Islam.

• Ok, I'm honestly not sure why Muslim women wear the hijab, but I can tell you Why nuns and some Jewish women do so.
    They do this to show honor to God in their own way. I disagree with this practice as the new covenant with Jesus changed a lot of things.
    I can only assume Muslim women do so for the same reason. I believe people have a problem with it because it is symbolic of following a religion that still promotes (whether it should according to its holy book or not) oppression, sexism, and war against non believers.
    I myself would never attack a woman for choosing to wear the hijab. It shows that she follows her beliefs and/or culture. I may not agree with those beliefs, but I will show respect.

• Nuns and Jewish women don't obscure their faces, like masked robbers.
    An obscured face is enough to to have you rejected from a lot of places, for fear of dishonest intentions. That's the way it is in western countries, and that culture should be acceptable in that country. When in Rome, do as the Romans and be tolerant of the culture.

• This is the correct answer actually

• I never said anything about the niqab. Women who were hijab don't cover their faces at all, just their hair so this is completely irrelevant. I actually strongly oppose the niqab and women who cover their faces, it's their choice but I find it completely ridiculous and extreme as their religion has never once said they need to do that.

• Christian women aren't forced to wear the nun clothes by Sharia law.

How can you be certain that a Muslim obeys the parts of the Quran that are about spiritual purity, rather than the parts that involve killing all infidels and nonbelievers? If you wear the hijab, that by itself proves that you approve of the symbolism behind the oppression of women within that religion.

• Muslim women aren't forced to either. Listen, Sharia Law is fucking bullshit. Extremists pulled that shit straight out of their hairy, fucked up asses. The Quran is so widely misinterpreted and it isn't actually explicitly stated in the Quran that a woman has to cover her hair, these women CHOOSE to do it. Every religion oppresses women and Islam actually oppresses the least, you cannot assess a religion based on extremists neither can you apply an ancient text to modern day society. You can't be certain anyone isn't a danger to a society but you have to stop seeing Muslims as these heartless, brainless followers - they are normal people like you and I... do you think a Muslim mother of 3 kids daydreams about murdering non believers?

• Societal changes can and do occur. I mean, just look how much stances on LGBTQ individuals have progressed over just the past 50 years. Increased activism, visibility, and support can help make changes for the better. Attitudes like "it can't be changed so we may as well not try" only make change harder to achieve. Over just the past year, some of my views on things have shifted dramatically due to me being exposed to more information on subjects and more encouragement to be accepting. It definitely is possible.

• @cipher42 well yes, but the misconception about homosexuals being "evil and sinful" is an arbitrary notion, but we get Islamic people who claim to be "not extremists" who massacre cartoonists for drawing pictures of Mohammed. Sure you can say "not all Islamic people are like that", but you really can't claim "they aren't true muslims". It IS a fact that most terrorists are islamic. I might have said it before, but it is because Islam relies on obedience without questions. I'd be wary of people who take their religion seriously; although I did know a Christian for whom it did good in terms of personal development. I just wish it was like that in every household (it is not). All this "that is haram, that is halal, don't play music, arranged marriage, you deserve half rights of a man, you are the property of your husband and must have sex with him at any time he wants whether you like it or not etc." is just... just no. Not a fan.

And then I see things like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYAcLudBbhg

• Because people are brought up to hate others based on things like religious beliefs, race, sexual orientation and gender. Peoples hatred for Muslims and Muslims hatred for non-Muslims are prime examples of institutionalized hatred. It's a shame that so many people are blind to this fact.

Also, religions do not oppress and kill people, people do. People simply use their religious beliefs or the religious beliefs of others to justify their actions. After all a copy of Quran didn't hijack the planes used in the 9/11 attacks, people did.

• Muslims don't hate non-Muslims, look at the Arab world for example, it's a mix of Christians and Arabs and all Muslim Arabs have Christian friends and vice versa, even some Jews (the ones who haven't moved to Israel).

I love you for your second comment, beautifully said.

• Trust me I know that not all Muslims hate non-Muslims. I would never paint an entire group of people with the same brush. I was simply using it as an example.

• huh... weird? this happens in middle-east countries mostly right?

• Nope, mostly France, the States, Canada, Germany... mostly European countries. This would never happen in the Middle East.

• because neither of them are known to blow themselves up in suicide bombing while calling for the death of the west

• it's all related to the memories of 9/11.

• When is the last time a nun strapped a bomb to herself and blew up a crowd of people? Never.

I do agree, though, that they shouldn't be criticized for voluntarily wearing a hijab.

• When has a woman who wore hijab done that? Even if she did, crimes committed by someone who shares her religion is not her responsibility in any shape or fucking form.

• And when I say they aren't known for violence, I mean that the Church itself doesn't advocate violence. Obviously there are some nutjobs out there who use Christianity to justify violence, but they are just isolated crazy people.

Compare that to the Islamic leaders who issue death-sentence fatwas against anyone who disagrees with them.

• Islam is only known for violence because the only thing people know about Islam and Muslims is 9/11. That's ignorance.

Secondly, I don't judge Christians based on the actions of a few, I was making a point. I don't generalize with any demographic.

Lastly, these Muslim leaders have elected themselves as leaders and are only followed by broken down, brainwashed people. Do you accept these so called leaders as the voice of 1.57 billion people? Should we all just judge people based on what their leaders represent and say? You need to separate actual, normal people who just want to live their lives from obsessive, violent extremists who literally dedicate their lives to murdering innocent people. Nearly every American president has been in office through war, are all Americans violent murders? Same for Israelis? The French president preaches acceptance and anti-discrimination but we all know that isn't an accurate representation of the French people.

• because nuns haven't announced that their goal is the destruction of our country. Muslims have

• you are so ignorant

• What Muslims have said that? What day to fucking day Muslims have said that? You're generalizing like a twat.

• It's nice to know that you only want opinions that agree with yours. You don't know what you are talking about and you respond to opinions you don't agree with, with swearing and anger. You are less then half my age and you think you know what I know. Dear, I have lived in Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, and Dubai as well as having grown up in the US (NY). You might want to think a little more, listen a little more and live a little more before closing your mind.

• Because Christianity is a western religion and is more widely accepted than Islam (that's the right word for it, right? Excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong)

• What about Jews?

• Jews and Christians don't get bad rap in the media.
      What, With propaganda like "American sniper" it was no surprise how many brainwashed islamaphobes came out of those cinemas.
      That probably has something to do with it

• That's very true...

• Bcoz all those are enemies of Islam n Muslims

• What?

• Enemies of islam always criticized Muslims on their traditions but don't see their own collars

• Oh I see, that's very true!

• Jews didn't start shit, Muslims do

• Jews have been kicked out of countless societies for thousands of years for the shit they started, Christians are more fucked up than any religion, molesting children, starting the motherfucking plague, throwing cats from towers, burning innocent women they thought were witches, bombing abortion clinics, attacking trans people and the list goes on. There are Muslim extremists but to be quite frank, to blame 1.57 billion people based on the actions of even `100,000 (the actual number is 30,000) terrorists is RIDICULOUS and idiotic.

• Don't get all hissy

• Just sayin'

What Girls Said 4

• Jews and Catholics aren't bombing buildings in Muslim countries to punish them for not being Jewish and Catholic. But I honestly feel it's due to ignorance perpetuated by the government and media. America will always need someone else to bully just feel like we're still awesome. Which we're not anymore. I don't dislike America because it's the only home I've ever known, but I strongly feel that we've lost a lot of our humanity, and we've become a pathetic cesspool that wants to blame others for our problems.

• Uh. Christians certainly have bombed buildings (abortion clinic bombings, anyone?). They also run child armies and raid villages in certain third world countries. dude, there's a whole big Wikipedia article about Christian terrorism.

• Catholicism IS Christianity! Every other Christian denomination came out of that...

• If you want to say that Catholicism and Christianity are the same thing, then why don't all Christian men take multiple wives like Mormons, why don't all Christians completely abstain from all alcohol like Southern Baptist, why don't all Christians go door to door like Jehovah's Witness, and why aren't all Christian's only having sex for procreation, and also worshiping the Virgin Mother like Catholics? All of these fundamentally different religions share several common elements, but they go by different names for a reason.
      Yes, Catholics believe in Christ, but "Catholicism", and "Christianity" are two different religions. The practice of Catholicism was actually named Christianity, at first, but today the two are different.

• It is unfair that any woman be attacked for her choice in life. But what you are trying to compare does not make sense. Seems you need to fact check before you get on your soap box, then make a valid argument for your cause. Just my opinion :-)

• How is my argument invalid in any way, shape or form?

• People fear what they do not understand.

• ignorance...