Why does people keep comparing the muslim women dress code to women who choose to dress half naked?

I honestly don't believe it should even be in the same category. The Muslim dress code is for religious purposes. From the time they are little until they are an adult, they are raised to believe that it's considered dressing modest. They don't won't wear the head scarf or any other garment for attention. And if they do get attention, whether it's good or bad, they are still dressing MODEST. where as you have a girl who chooses to wear half a shirt and probably a mini skirt for attention and gets upset if you call her slut.
What im trying to say is that you can't compare the two. Muslims wear their religion. They believe in God and they believe in heaven and hell. Forget all the crap with the bombing and stuff. Just like other religions, Muslims have the crazy extremists who do stupid things and blame their religion for it.
A half naked woman may be Christian but she's not wearing her religion and she probably isn't religious either. You cannot compare the two. It's just ridiculous and sounds stupid every time I see people do it.

Most Helpful Guy

• I totally agree. I think the main reason why people use this as a comparison sometimes (the link between the two) is sexuality. Both of them have in some way to do with cultural views on sexuality and what is appropriate. You say that burkas, hijabs and head-scarfs are religious garments and you are certainly right about that. But the religious reasons why these clothes are worn have a lot to do with cultural morality (religion and culture/mentality influence each other quite a lot). Muslim countries tend to be also very conservative, patriarchic societies. Conservative, patriarchic men also tend to be sexually very stuck-up and jealous people. So we can safely assume that at least a big part of the reason why Islam even talks about these garments in the first place is because the koran was written by a bunch of misogynistic men and because there are enough misogynistic men in today's muslim societies who readily take these passages as literal commands (as far as I know, this was quite different during the golden age of Islam in 800-1100 A. D., when women were generally treated quite well and equal). It is true that some women wear these garments voluntarily but it should also be mentioned that this "free" will is usually the result of moral indoctrination. If you are a girl who grows up with a very conservative father and in a religious, muslim family, it is very hard to go against these kind of things. I don't personally think muslim garments should be banned because I believe in the right for everyone to wear whatever they want except from stuff like Nazi uniforms and that kind of crap. But I still find it hard to understand why muslim women do it (I generally find it hard to understand why any religious person wears any kind of religious garment). In western countries, we have a very different moral system concerning nudity and sexuality. While we are more open minded towards these things, there is also still lots of sexism around, for example when guys call girls "sluts" just because they show a lot of skin. So yeah, I would say this different notions of morality towards nudity and sexuality is what connects the two. But I agree that they're still different.

• Yeah, I understand what you mean. Especially with the strictness and jealousy of Muslim men. Tbh when you grow up around guys like that, you think all men show love that way and when they don't you feel like they don't love you or they weren't raised right. I was in a predicament like that. I had to realize the way you are raised shapes you into how you act on things. I realized my "now" husband loves me, he just isn't a strict or really jealous type of person. And I'm happy, it just took me time to understand why he didn't act a certain way with certain things.

What Guys Said 5

• bsically tbh i don't find hijabs attractive... wot if they have some pretty face, and hide it? :|

• That's what I mean though. It's not made to be attractive compared to a woman who chooses to dress half naked. A half naked girl goal is to be attractive. I know plenty of girls that are Muslim who I went to school with and I even was invited to one of their weddings. When I seen all of them with their garments off and in clothes you see people wear on a daily basis, it was a complete transformation. Some literally looked liked models. That's when I realized the head scarf and stuff is made to hide their beauty, which is mainly only seen by other woman , and their family.

• it's not meant to be an exact comparison.

• You are right.

• Yes, it is stupid.

• Stop now, you're annoying

What Girls Said 3

• That's the problem. They live in the west that will always talk about the Muslims and compare those two women from different cultures. There will always be ignorance about this.

• ignorant people.

• Because I know some Muslim women who do this to gain attention from Muslim men or to be considered as a 'wife material'

I know some are really sincere when they wear it for the religion purpose but there're also the ones who wear it for different purpose like I stated above.