What should I study after high school?

Help! I don't know what to do after high school?

I don't know what to study as. I'm getting really depressed about it. The only things I'm good at are history, languages and literature. Sure, I can study history and filology, but will it get me a job? No. Nowadays it's all about science, maths and IT, but I suck at all that :( nobody needs historians anymore... so any ideas?

Most Helpful Girl

• Think of ways to combine your talents. Speak with people who do a job you like. Think of a job you like so much, you 'd even do it without getting paid for it. Focus on what you 'll enjoy doing for a lifetime, not how you 'll earn money. You'll be miserable if you have to do a job you don't like for the rest of your life. You might think you won't be able to find a job as a historian or as a filology teacher, but if you genuinely like it, you'll study and research a lot on your field, you'll be able to get a phd and you 'll be efficient in your job, therefore you'll be preferred over other candidates

What Guys Said 4

• Hey!! My aunt has a doctorate in mediaeval history! She lectures every week!!

Also, why not specialise in a language. Become a translator or interpreter.

Good luck! Never stop learning. Knowledge is King!!

Take care, stay safe!!

• Thanks, but in my country, history is not that needed and I suck at teaching (let alone lecturing, I'm way too nervous for that)

• I've thought abou translating, but my bf's dad is a translator and he doesn't recommend it because there are way too many translators and the competition is tough and I could end up studying for nothing, but my personality doesn't suit being and enterpreter, for I am too nervous and tend to mess up translating on the spot.

If I was better with maths and financing, I would work at a bank, but sadly, I'm crap at that :D (I know, my knowledge is one sided)

Not sure about journalism, not my thing

• Hmmm! I'm stumped then. Don't know what else to suggest. Nursing, dentistry, photography, pre-school teacher for under 5's, chef, interior design?

• how bout teachin english?

• Actually, the CIA pays people rather well for reading and research capability. Information is their game.

• P. S. The best school in the country for this is Mercyhurst College in Erie Pennsylvania. They have a degree in Intelligence Studies that is partly sponsored by Tom Ridge, former governor of that state, who also served as head of Homeland Security. The CIA regularly hires directly from Mercyhurst.

• lol my cousin was just hired in egypt as archaelogist. noone needs historians my ass... .

What Girls Said 3

• My suggestion would be to enter college undecided, take some politics, law, maybe business or economics classes, and definitely history too. A minor in history while majoring in something like politics or law could be really great for you. Not everyone can have a career in science or IT, and the only reason they are so popular is because they are easy to get jobs in. But you can be very successful with other degrees too, you may struggle a bit more after college, but you'll be doing what you love!

• I guess I forgot to add that I'm not very keen in politics or law, I just don't understand it, but I have thought about combining it with something, but don't know what

• Well start with what you know you like, and try some things that you don't know, or have never tried. Marketing or economics may be good for you, or international business maybe.

• I wouldn't advise you to study Linguistics or Literature.

• only you can decide that!