What are homeless shelters like?

I just turned 18 a little over a month ago. My mother and I are homeless and we've run out of money to stay at the hotel we've been stayin' at. We've been homeless for two years and though we've had to stay in some pretty bad places (bug infested, moldy, extremely hot, extremely cold, the car) we've never had to go to a shelter. We've been looking for jobs and I even had to drop out of HS because of all this. Both my mother and father's side of my family have disowned me and don't like my mother so we can't stay with them, If you're wondering why all the background info I'm tired of people saying "well have you tried looking for a job, well what about asing family to stay with them." On Friday we'll probably be heading back to Pittsburgh, PA (hometown, currently in NC) to stay in a shelter. I just want to know what to expect.

Most Helpful Girl

• My friend lives in a shelter and there's all types of people from decent ones , drug addicts , prostitutes, criminals in there.
    The food is rarely ever goof.

What Guys Said 4

• Usually they're wide open places like a school gym with a lot of cots

• Ever been to Butlins?

• Don't know much about shelters in US but I wish you luck. I hope that you find a job soon and get financially stronger.

• bless you.. wish you all the luck in the world

What Girls Said 2

• You're still young enough to get help with your situation. Housing and schooling both. If i were you, I'd look into the youth services in your area and contact as many of them as possible to see which ones may be able to help you. Do it soon, don't leave it in the hopes you'll be able to deal with it. Get the help asap while you still can. You'll be too old for it all soon.

• they are usually very friendly.