Why do question about suicide get systematically reported?

Today a user asked a question about how to easily and painlessly commit suicide. Within 5 minutes of it appearing, somebody reported it and it was deleted. Due to this, I asked a question about why it was deleted. Apparently, my question also didn't survive more than a few seconds. So here I wanna give it one more try. There seem to be a lot of snitchers active at the moment who seem to believe that they know what's best for each of us. While I don't intend to encourage anyone to commit suicide, I do wonder why people here are not given the choice to freely deicde themselves what they want to do. Committing suicide is a terrible thing in any case but if somebody wants to do it, I think it is only fair to tell him/her how to do it "right" (without a lot of pain). Who are we to judge a stranger's life? People frequently say "just go to sleep and you'll feel better again" or "talk to somebody about your problems". What if that person already did all these things? What if this person thought about it for a long time and finally decided that this is what they want to do? Who are we to stop them and tell them that their suffering is really not that bad? Emotional pain is different for everyone. What might not be a big deal to one of us, might be reason enough to commit suicide for another. Both ways of feeling about something are legitimate because everyone is a unique person. I strongly believe that teenagers above the age of approx. 14 are able to understand the consequences of their actions. Our life belongs to ourselves only and if we - sadly - decide to end it, we should be able to do that. To use a metaphore: many Americans possess guns. When you sell a gun to another guy, there's always a risk that he will use it to kill his whole family. Yet, most people will probably sell it to him and tell themselves "I'm only selling it. What he does with it doesn't lie in my responsibilty". Why can't we do this with suicide advice too? Why can't we just tell the person how to kill himself painlessly and tell ourselves "we just provided the method. Whether he will actually do it is not our responsibility". Deleting these kind of questions seems very patronizing to me. By doing that, we're not actually solving the problem (the guy probably still wants to commit suicide), we're just turning our heads the other way. What do you think?

Most Helpful Girl

• It's your choice to kill yourself, but when you kill yourself you're not the only one it effects. You're leaving behind loved ones, friends, family, etc. Also the posts are probably deleted so people who weren't thinking about suicide aren't triggered, and nobody gets any ideas.

• I agree with you that suicide always affects a lot of other people. But I still believe that sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I don't think this is an egoistic attitude, even if it might sound that way. I think forcing somebody to stay alive although they don't want to be alive is more unethical.
      And concerning your second sentence: That's possible yes. But if that is the case it's a really stupid rule because obviously, people are not just "triggered" to commit suicide. I strongly doubt you or I would commit suicide even if we read 100 questions about it.

• Some people are triggered, if they previously wanted to commit suicide and then got better, seeing a post about it could cause them to start thinking about it again (it happened to a close friend of mine). And I agree with you when you said that forcing them to live is unethical, except I think before choosing suicide people should try other things, and never have it as their first option.

• 11d

Why the hell do you automatically assume someone is leaving someone behind?
      What if the person doesn't have anyone at all? No friends, no family members - NOBODY.
      Stop feeding this *Your going to hurt people* bullshit - so sick of hearing it.

What Girls Said 8

• It's so illegal. Helping someone commit suicide is helping someone commit a crime. As messed up as that sounds, that's what's happening :/

• Mods are told to remove questions which encourage or will help the asker commit suicide. It's against GAG rules. You can talk about suicide, but not ask how to do it or encourage it.

• I don't know the answer to your question. I do think messaging or commenting helps a person more than just deleting their question...

• This site does not support people to commit suicide or self euthanasia

• I agree with you here. I recently wrote a MyTake on the truth about suicide, just speaking about what it's like for people with depression and how judging someone or giving a person contemplating suicide the title of "selfish" is wrong and you need to take into account what that person is dealing with. They removed it the next day, which got me quite cross, because that was honestly my vent, I got it off my chest and they destroyed that.

• It's because the questions can be triggering for other people. Of course you should have somewhere where you can talk about suicidal thoughts, but this isn't the place.

• its just not the place for that.

• Why not? Where else could this person go? People in every forum on the internet say this.

• Who cares if a random stranger says he's gonna kill himself? People who ask such stupid thing are likely to be emo teenagers with nothing better to do than act depressed.

What Guys Said 4

• I have not been a member on this site for a couple years now but that is one thing that has always has happened. I went through a very tough time a couple years ago and contemplated it. I talked to people in my situation at the time and trust me we were all aware of the burden it would put on to family. But for someone to be in that much pain that they would harm or kill themselves means that they are in trouble and in a lot of emotional pain. Luckily I worked through my problems but I hate knowing society still has such problems talking about these issues.

• Asking how to kill yourself is not a question to ask on any site. What if the advice you gave was the advice they took and killed themselves? Questions about violence will not be tolerated on this site

• I don't consider suicide violence. I consider it the most radically free use of your unalienable basic human rights: the right to live and to decide yourself whether you want to live. None of us was asked whether he/she wanted to be born. So now that we are here and we live as free beings in a free country, we should be able to be free to decide whether we want to continue living in this world. Don't you think so?

• maybe SOME of em r posted, just in order for attention drowin?

hope so, coz if they r real it's sad... :(

• they get removed for legal reasons