Would you let your kids play sports generally reserved for the opposite sex?

Just asking cause I remember, as a kid and still female, being forced into cheerleading, dance teams, even ballet to channel my "inner girl" and hated every damn second of it and still don't forgive my mom and granma for that. It actually took my dad telling them I hate it to finally make it stop.

Now given my experiences were a living hell, I resolved to never in my life allow any of my kids (in like 10 years cause thats fair to me and them) to be put into a sport they don't like just because its "what boys/girls your age do". Shit if I have a son that wants to do gymnastics, do ahead. A daughter wants to play football? I'll fight it with her. I don't think what sports a kid plays decides anything about their character, especially when you assume they do grow up and have minds eventually lol.

So given that, would you let your kids play a sport that you just don't see their particular gender playing (girl - football, boy - gymnastics/ballet)? Would you say no and why not, and I'd love other answers besides "cause thats not for boys/girls" or "my kids gonna look gay" etc. etc. Unique answers, but if thats your answer then fine by me. If you would let your kids do so why? If you have kids right now and are letting them do so, how's that working out for them?

To little nert, you'll know when I get defensive and I wasn't.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't have kids myself yet but I have a girlfriend who wants to have children with me and will probably get our first child in 3-4 years. Personally, I hate, I mean I HATE what I call "gendering" (the act of pressuring kids/teenagers/people in general into their traditional gender roles). Not just in terms of sports but in everything. I know parents who for example by their boys toy cars and their girls puppets. Or parents who paint their boy's room blue and their daughter's room pink. Or my grandma used to buy my little sister skirts and when my sister started crying because she didn't like them, my grandma got all sulky. All this stuff really pisses me off. This whole idea of "girls have to be like x and guys have to be like y" is just so incredibly stupid and annoying. Also in relationships: many guys think it's "unworthy of a man" to do "typical girl tasks". As it happens however, I am simply better at those and my girlfriend happens to be better at "typical guys tasks". I could theoretically repair a broken TV or build together a bookshelf but why should I do it and get all annoyed and frustrated in the process if my girlfriend can do it in half of the time? And why should she cook for me if I'm simply a much better cook than her? It just doesn't make sense. Everyone is different and should be able to live the way they want to live, regardless of gender roles. Because I am very aware of these things, I want to try hard to avoid any kind of gender pressuring possible when I have kids. I will buy them both boy toys and girl toys. If my son wants to dress as a princess and my daughter wants to be a cowboy, no problem! If my boy wants to do ballet and my daughter wants to become a trucker, so what? What matters is only one thing: that they are happy.

• I wish my parents thought like you. Would've made my childhood a lot better and less filled with me having to literally throw the outfits out the window on rainy days in hope that it'll mean I didn't have to go. I unfortunately got great at hiding when it was time to leave/

What Girls Said 5

• If I could afford it and work it into the schedule, I'd let my hypothetical kids try whatever they heck they want as long as they keep up with it for an entire term or season. Kids are little sponges. I'd want to give mine any and every opportunity in the world I could to help them find what they like and want to do in life.

• If my kid had no interest in that particular sport then no.
    As a parent I would see my child's interest and try to build off of it.
    Not force them to do what I want them to do.

• Yes, I'd sign them up for whatever sport they liked. But if there is no girls football team and they won't let a girl join there's not much I can do. But any other sport usually has a boy and girls team, or its at least coed

• So you're a girl whose profile says she's a male and whose name is CityBoy? Interesting.

I would gladly let my children play sports "generally reserved for the opposite sex" because it'd be sexist not to. If he wants to dance, I'll let him dance. If she wants to play football, I'll let her play football. I don't see any reason to stop them.

• If you read my little bio you'd know I am transsexual and was raised as a female until I got the chance. First chance, I take it, fuck waiting.

• I did and agree, just saying I put it there for a reason.

• I don't care. You could have simply explained yourself rather than getting defensive. I very, very rarely read anyone's bio--because I don't care. I'm not on here to be social. I'm on here for getting and giving advice and opinions. If you won't understand that, I guess I'm done here.

• yeah i would!

What Guys Said 5

• If it's a guy no because the bullying he will receive is not worth it. However, If its a girl fine, girls around me become tomboys QUICK. There is no gender roles/double standards out here. A girl with be treated as ruff as guy around her. Especially, playing tackle football.

• I'm real confused by what you said, can you clarify? Because someone earlier thought I get offended quickly, I'm not asking in a defensive, smartass type of way. Just confused.

• Because of homophobia guys playing "girly" sports leads to bullying. However a girl playing a "manly" sport is allowed. Girls around me become very tomboyish as I treat them as ruff as guys.

• I get that. Though if he's doing "girly" sports, like gymnastics which they have a boys team in some areas for, he'll be too strong to be fucked with. Gymnasts man. If there's one group of athletes you don't fuck with, its them. Flexible and strong? Shit you're fucked.

Also if there isn't a girls team and he's straight, or bi and looking for a lady friend, I've heard stories of guy gymnasts, friends of mines, who get lucky with the hot chicks on the gymnastics team cause they practice with them and the girls know them better.

But these are your hypothetical kids. Actually you bring up a very good point there. People are stupid and he may get bullied. Smart thinking for his sake.

• Whatever makes them happy.

• I wouldn't let a daughter of mine play football past flag, wrestling, or other such sports; but otherwise I'd let a kid of mine do whatever sport they'd like. Basketball, baseball, cheerleading, whatever.

• I'm so confused. So you won't let your daughter play those sports, but a kid of mine can? So by kid you mean your son?

• Wrestling with other girls, yes. Guys, no.

• I could see why then and your concern. But not a lot of other girls play wrestling, so she might be screwed over in that case.

• Yes whatever makes them. happy

• They can do whatever the fuck they want.