What's wrong with opening doors for others?

I'm usually used to opening doors for others, but today when I was holding it for someone, this man chose to take the door beside mine so he could open it. He said something about it and he seemed polite and nice, and I didn't really understand what he said since he said it quickly. I'm not bothered by it but I'm curious if there's anything wrong with holding doors for others?

Most Helpful Guy

• You aren't doing anything wrong, and you are being polite. But similarly, I would try to take the door holding from you. It's how I was raised. As a gentlemen.

• what do you mean? like would it be insulting if I were to hold the door if I'm female?

• ohh lol ok. personally I feel bad if I'm walking in front of someone and I don't hold it for them if they're close, especially if it's the elderly, thats why I do it

• Ya for sure, elderly. No you are awesome for doing that, keep it up, not trying to discourage that.

What Guys Said 3

• Some might be surprised by a lady holding a door for a man maybe he was going for the other door anyway.

• Ohh ok. I usually always hold it for the person from behind. I didn't think it would bother some since just because I'm a girl

• Not bother just some men mightn't expect it

• I don't know. Some men and women take this as a gender issue and it's stupid. It's just simple common courtesy to hold doors for people in general (whether for a man or woman). I've held doors for both women and men and never received any weird looks for it.

• He probably just doesn't like other people doing things for him. It might make him feel like a child. There's nothing wrong with what either of you did it's just a difference of preference.

What Girls Said 6

• Nothing wrong with it.

• Nah, nothing wrong with it.

• I hate when guys can't just walk through a fucking door like their penis will fall off if they let a girl open the door for them. Thooough it could have just been an awkward mistake on his part, I've done that before and didn't know what to even say.

• it makes them look like a gentlemen and that's very wrong?

• That's weird, what did he say?

• He is just a gentlemen. I was in a similar situation as you. I open the door for others but my guy friends would insist that I go in first and hold the door for me instead. Maybe he just don't feel good if a girl opens a door for him.