Can I refuse getting diagnosed?

My mom is forcing me to see a psychologist to treat me but I really dont want to. They will probabaly diagnose me with a mental illness because I meet all the criterias but I dont want that. I dont want to be diagnosed with anything. I dont want pity from my family. I am normal. I am not a mental illness, it does not define me.

Most Helpful Girl

• As someone who has been diagnosed with a mental illness previously and whose boyfriend is currently recovering from his eating disorder, I want to tell you first of all that a mental illness doesn't mean that you're going to be pitied, nor does it mean that that illness defines you. Someone with cancer is their own person, they are not defined by their cancer. Someone with a prosthetic leg is their own person, they are not defined by their disability. The same goes for mental illness. You are never going to be defined by your illness, unless you choose to let it.

Going to get diagnosed is always the best solution because mental illnesses make you suffer and the treatment you get will help your symptoms. It might not be pleasant and it might not make you feel great for a little while, but diagnosis does ultimately help your standard of life.

What Guys Said 5

• don't be afraid of the truth. if you had a heart murmur that could potentially affect your quality of life would avoid going to the doctor simply because you don't want the label of being sick?

don't assume people are going to pity you... I don't pity those with mental illness I simply try and support them

• There would be no reason to have diagnoses if it werent' for the matter of insurance and who pays.

You are, apparently, dealing with some symptoms. They don't define you as a person. You are you.

Apparently some other people deal with some similar symptoms. There are perhaps some ways that the medical community can help you manage these 'criterias'.

If you were privately wealthy, you could just pay for whatever help you found useful.

But for most of us, it's helpful for our medical insurance to cough up some cash for help in these areas, and that requires a qualified psychologist noting that we have these symptoms to a degree that help would be appropriate.

• giving what you have a label doesn't change what you have. seeing a psychologist does not mean you are crazy. you just talk to them and they talk back. these people can give great advice and really help you see things differently. at least go once, if you dont like it then you can decide not to go again, it only takes 1 hour of your life.

• being officially diagnosed doesn't change the fact that you are already in need of help, as you said above "I meet all the criterias"

I wouldn't worry about it much, they can help you so that you don't meet the criteria and aren't classified as mentally ill

• Why are you afraid to get the opinion of an objective health care professional. If you do have an illness, you should get treatment right away. It's NEVER a good idea to run away from potential health problems. Most only get worse as they are ignored.

What Girls Said 7

• Having a mental disorder isn't the end of the world. If you truly do have one your causing your self more harm by not getting diagnosed.

I have ADHD and it is a huge part of who I am but doesn't define me. Just because I have that doesn't mean I can't learn, be intelligent, etc . Just means I have to work harder to over come the obstacles it may bring.

• Wait, you want to be afflicted by mental illness instead of treating it and having a better life? Why?

• Because you are under 18 you cannot consent or Decline treatment. your parents have to

• Like you said, if you do have a mental illness, it won't define you. I have a fantastic fried with depression and acute anxiety and I never think of her as just a mentally ill person, she is so much more than that and so are you !

• Ypur mom is trying to help you. It's not going to make you look crazy and maybe you could ask your mom not to share your diagnosis with anyone else.

• You can not talk during the whole session. Hard to diagnose you that way.

• Nope sweetie you are a minor.