Should the bible be taken literally as the word of god?

• yes
    40% (4)31% (4)35% (8)Vote
  • no
    60% (6)69% (9)65% (15)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
5|8

Most Helpful Girl

• Only when it suits you.

0|0
    1|0
    • If you only follow what suits you then your not a Christian. there is no in between, you are either a follower who goes directly by the book and tries not to sin or a non believer ( obviously like you since you have this opinion) who may or may not identify themselves as a Christian but doesn't not follow the commandments and sins constantly because they "only [follow] when it suits you".

• Show All
    • @Runnerforlife yet if you follow the Quran word by word, then people call you an extremist.

• Thanks for the mho

What Girls Said 4

• I have study theology at university. Not a major degree, but a few units. One of the first things that they teach you is that the bible can't be taken literally, it needs to be translated. This is where someone faith and beliefs come into play.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you believe in the bible, you should take it literally. It's a little hypocritical to pick only the parts you like.

1|1
    0|0
  • You can't pick and choose what you believe in the bible. It's all or nothing. Some things in the bible have deeper meanings.

1|0
    0|0
    • Like pork being forbidden?

• Show All
    • Sorry leave it st that. Its my bedtime

• and God should always be capitalized unless its like a greek god but the one true God should always be capitalized fyi :)

1|0
    0|1
    • If you're going to be a grammar Nazi don't start your sentence with an 'and' with a small 'a'.

What Guys Said 8

• The Vatican doesn't take the bible literally. One of my professors was also a preacher who started 10 or so churches along the Mississippi. He talked about how when he first started climbing the church ladder, he would ask things like "You don't actually expect these kids to just buy into the notion of a talking snake, right?"

"We know that isn't how it happened, obviously, but the stories serve as a good lesson until they can grow to understand metaphor and context." The man said.

He replied "... or until they start acting like their talking snake hypothesis has any ounce of credibility alongside evolution."

Literal interpretations of the bible are where everything basically goes wrong. He told us about how during the early years of the church, church members would basically get together and rewrite existing stories and censor stories that offended them (like the first woman, before eve, who was man's equal and less obedient.). The entire story of Jesus was written hundreds of years after the supposed events.

"The point.." he would say "... is not to seek to be like these idols [Buddha, Jesus, Mohammad, etc.]. It is to seek what they sought. This is where the mythology, and it is mythology, stays relevant." He said. "It's supposed to be stories to guide your moral discovery. Not a history book. Not a rule book."

In many ways, this is a viewpoint held by the latest Pope as well.

It's just that your average American suburban Christian is completely out of the loop. And your average republican is about as un-Christian as they come.

Speaking of which, did you know that the religious groups that fled England to colonize America did not come to be free FROM persecution? Nope. They actually came so they could be free TO persecute. Around that time, England was creating new policies to further separate church and state. Persecution on religious grounds was no longer allowed, so many people left for America so they could be free to stone non-virgins and burn witches.

And that is basically why I am an atheist.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, as time periods when certain parts of it were written was important. Christ only had one law love others as you love yourself. You follow that law and your good.

0|1
    0|0
  • Of course not. It's just that it makes parenting easier if you threaten your children with eternal pain, burning in a pit of lava.

0|0
    0|0
  • eh... not always

0|0
    0|0
  • Some of the things in the bible are a tad silly.
    I doubt God would want to portray religion to people in those ways..

0|0
    0|0
  • Literally in the context of the story, yes.

0|0
    0|0
  • aren't you the devil guy?

I'm just waiting for you to block me.

0|0
    0|0
  • No.

Because God doesn't exist. And the bible is fiction.

0|2
    1|1