I heared ages ago that babies don't have brain activity until a few weeks/months in the belly of a woman my question is when the baby's brain is?

Finally active.. Is it awake right away as soon as the brain is active? Or is the baby dreaming?

0|0
1|4

Most Helpful Guy

• Neither. I think you're comparing a foetus (they're still faaaar away from being a baby!) too much with a grown person, which a lot of people do. Until about 3 months into a pregnancy, an embryo (and later a foetus) is more comparable to a plant or a very small animal. In fact, in the first few days or so, the embryo is not more than a bacteria (both in size and in the things it is capable of doing). The heart starts typically beating around 3 months after fertilisation of the egg. Like everything else in the foetus' body, the brain, it cells and neuron connections first have to be "built". The existing brain is not exactly inactive because obviously it is controlling some of the things it is already able to control but it is still very, very far away from the brain of a teenager or an adult person. A foetus does not have to brain capacity to think consciously, it doesn't have a very long memory and until the first three months or so, it is only able to feel pain in a limited way. So, you could perhaps compare it to a mouse or a hamster or something like that (except that they feel pain better). In fact, one of the most amazing and important things that most people don't know is that a baby does not have the ability to self-reflect and think completely consciously, even after it is born. It is only by about the THIRD year of his/her life, that children start to for example recognize themselves in the mirror, think of themselves as independent individual and rationally reflect on what they like and what they don't like. Before that, babies are almost like a cat or a dog. They're not stupid, but they largely function with the help of natural instincts. They feel hunger or exhaustion but they are not actually capable of understanding these things. This only happens ones the baby becomes toddler.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• i have no clue...

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 3

• That is a complicated question because the human brain is in constant development for about 18 years.

0|1
    0|0
  • brain's developed after birth no?

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not active until 18 years after birth, or later!

0|0
    0|0