Why do Republicans hate gay people?

Why are they against marriage equality?

Most Helpful Guy

• of course not all republicans hate gays and not all are against marriage equality

but why do so many seem to be against marriage equality? probably has to do with their association with the "religious right"

What Girls Said 3

• I will never understand why.

• Not all do but I don't know. I'll never understand. They say it's against traditions or something stupid.

• i dont hate them.

What Guys Said 9

• For the same reason that the Democrats opposed same-sex marriage until a couple of years ago: irrationality.

Unfortunately (and I say this as a supporter of same-sex marriage), most supporters of same-sex marriage are not principled advocates of freedom. They've just jumped on a bandwagon. It's the same on both sides of the Atlantic.

It's very easy to proclaim support for same-sex marriage now. But, most of those people weren't saying it twenty or even ten years ago, and they're not saying now that, for example, (consensual) incest should be legalized, which it should be. And, in fact, when conservatives said that legalizing same-sex marriage would lead to legalizing incest, almost every same-sex marriage supporter condemned the conservatives for saying it and condemned the notion of legalizing incest, instead of actually taking a principled stand for legalizing consensual relationships.

• I think you can be against gay marriage without hating gay people. To them gay marriage doesn't make sense because marriage is a religious bonding, and yet their religion is against gay marriage. So to them, that doesn't make any sense, it's oxymoronic almost. They would be fine if gays called it something else besides marriage (which I don't think is a particularly bad idea, personally)

I believe this is the stance that most anti gay marriage people hold, to just say that they "hate gays" is overly simplistic and frankly a bit childish. Propoganda really.

Before you start trying to attack me for a belief I don't hold, I'm a conservative FOR gay marriage, I don't believe government should be involved in marriage at all

• also @evenlift made a good point, democrats were against gay marriage for the most part before Obama was elected. For instance here's a compilation of current democrats just ten years ago talking about their views on marriage about ten years ago.

https://youtu.be/aUkuEtcqzyA

• that was Dick Durbin, Hilary Clinton, and Harry Reid. All still very prominent democrats, of course it leaves a lot when Barrack Obama also said he was against gay marriage in 2008. Theyre not FOR gay marriage, theyre FOR getting more votes, just like any politician on both sides. If people would realize this instead of constantly saying the other side just hates ____. We would all get along better

• "I don't believe government should be involved in marriage at all".

That I certainly agree with.

• they r conservatives don't they?

• To quite a few of them it isn't about hate.. To them if gay marriage is against their belief system then NOBODY who is gay should get married.. Theocratic bullshit to be honest.. It's perfectly okay to not believe in something and still give access to things to people who DON'T follow those beliefs. If someone isn't religious why should they have to follow Abrahamic religions definition of marriage?

• If it's not hate, which for a lot of them or certainly is, it's still smug condescension and superiority which is almost as bad.

• @dandeus Oh yes it carries with it a sense of moral superiority that it's a "my way of the highway" kind of mentality instead of a "to each his own" mentality.

• They think it will get them en electoral boost.

• I think you can say, they represent the conservative prospective of some people. (I am not agreeing or disagreeing with anything)

• "My party aims to ban homosexuality, so we can feel naughty when we do it!"

• I don't know any that hate gays. They just don't agree with their lifestyles. Conservatives are the only people who disagree with other people's lifestyles. The rest just don't care.

• They're just pissed because Obama ' s fucking us up the ass.