Do you think there is only one true religion?

Sometimes I wonder if there is only one true religion with only one God. Or if all religions are true and they are somehow all based on the same God. What's your view?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well if you are religious then logically there can only be one true religion in your perspective, if a Christian said "I believe in Christianity but I also think that Islam and Judaism are true religions" or if a Muslim said "I believe in Islam but I also think that Christianity and Judaism are true religions" then both of them are either being stupid or hypocrites, because there are a lot of differences in the theology of those religions, even though there are a lot of similarities, and the truth is one it can't be more than one, for me I believe that Islam is the only true religion, however not everything the Islamic scholars say is necessarily true, not all the Hadiths are true and finally not everyone's understanding of Islam is true.

And in the perspective of an atheist, there's only one true belief which is the belief of "there's no god" ... So I think that logically there can only be one true religion or belief. Everyone will say that his belief is the true, otherwise it wouldn't be HIS/HER belief in the first place.

What Guys Said 18

• I understand this line of thought. The idea that there is one truth, inherent to everything, and that all religions are basically reflections of that truth, interpreted in their own way. You could kind of liken it to Plato's Allegory of the Cave, and that each of these religions are simply humanities attempts to interpret the forms they see, when all they are seeing are the shadows on the wall.

At the heart of most religions are some very similar tenets. Basically, just 'be a good human'. And this extends to people that are atheist or agnostic. They usually have a moral structure that's 'be a good human' as well. Then the individual differences often come from regional differences in living conditions, coupled with mechanisms for control of the population and expansion of the belief system. That's pretty universal for all of them.

The religion a person believes in is generally directly correlated to where they were born. A person born in the Holy See is going to be Catholic, a person born in Riyadh is going to be Sunni... most likely Wahhabi mission. And any singular religious structure invariably fractures over time, putting into question its universal applicability. Like... look at Christianity. Even using the same simple teachings, it is so fractured you could almost consider it polytheist at this point. "I'm a Christian" could mean being Alexandrian, Antiochian, Greek Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, Coptic, Melkite, Latin Rite Roman Catholic, Anglican, Episcopalian, Methodist Episcopalian, African Methodist Episcopalian, 'regular' Methodist, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Quaker, Reform, Baptist, Evangelical, Pentecostal, Mormon, Seventh-day Adventist... even Jehovah's Witnesses are Christian. And that's not even touching the tip of the iceberg when you start thinking of all the branches considered 'heresy'. So if you consider each of those branches of a fragmented view of the shadow of the concept of Christianity, then it is a simple step to view each major religious group as a fragmented view of the shadow of the concept of Truth, in a religious sense.

The problem is that most religions require close-mindedness to work, and so each independent group of people claims there way is the ONLY way, and that all other ways must be false. It is mutually exclusive, and whenever something comes along that threatens the belief structure it must be removed or ignored. So nobody can see how close they all are, they only focus on the differences.

• Hmm interesting analogy. Is that analogy like saying people can see different shapes of a cloud, but at the end of the day it's the same cloud? And yeah the Christianity thing you said is so true!

• Yeah, that cloud analogy isn't 100% what I'm saying, but it's pretty close, and gives a good idea of the theme I was getting at.

• Well, I think there's no god, therefore, there should be no religion.
    Why would Christians, Jews, or Muslims be right? I mean, why can't the Egyptians or the Greeks or Romans be right? Humanity has changed more of gods than I have changed underwear.

• I think no religion's teachings are entirely true, because it is too much for a human being (or group of human beings) to comprehend. However, i do believe that there is a God, and that one religion has to be the closest hitting the mark (even if its not entirely true).

• There is only one god, and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: "Not today".

• I think all of them are false. Even if their are gods, given the infinite possibilities, I doubt anyone has correctly guessed their culture.

• None are true.

Reality is truth and came before religion. Some religions may touch on truth from time to time, but none of them are a source of truth.

• Since I am non religious - I can't agree with that statement.

• yes. christianity is the only truth. others are man made religions.

people die and meet Jesus and everything is as how the bible says.

also, i have a strong stance opposing islam and beleive radical islam is truth islam. Jesus is a model figure for christians to follow and measure their growth. mohammed was a war mongering tyrant pedophile who had 50 sex slaves while no on else was allowed to. he also kept 20 percent of all they robbed from towns they ravaged etc . he wasn't a holy man to anyones standards. having said all this, i dont hate msulims, i think a lot of them are just misguided good people.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV5w262XvCU
    The ending of this animation gives a pretty humorous theory of "if all religions are true".
    A bit off topic but a good animation. Also I'd say only one religion is truly right. (not gonna say which because that might start a flame war)

• nobody knows actually...

• Yes I believe in Islam and we also believe that Christianity and Judaism used to believe in the same god as us but the religious people after the prophets died they changed the context of the holy books

• I am a Christian and I believe that there is nothing after this life so I try to make the most of this one and eventually accept my aging and death.

• Why do you believe there's nothing after this life?

• like i keep saying. you're christian because you belive and follow. you neither beleive and i can safely assume you dont follow since you dont beleive.

christian=followers of Christ. let me tell you about a verse ""For many are invited, but few are chosen." thats mathew 22:14. this even means not everyone who goes to church are true christians and aren't going to heaven. anyway, you dont beleive it so why do you say you are? especially the fundamentals like the afterlife? some may beleive a bit differently and they are christians but you dont even beleive in the afterlife. you're not a chistian dude nor know the bible

• @justanothergager I believe it I just don't take it literally

• everyone will say their religion is right

• I think that all religion's are essentially the same. they all give a guide of how to be a good person and try to state that there is only one creator (monotheistic religions)

• Common Sense = True Religion

• No, I think there are NO true religions.

• One God. His name is JEHOVAH

• Can't say. Let's fight about it! ... Or not. Not would be better.

What Girls Said 6

• There is no such thing as a true religion, because all of them are man made and each of its respective followers are convinced theirs is the right one.

Religion represents the human psyche very well, though.

• I think I've heard of the human psyche thing. Was this theory developed by Freud? Something like the psyche makes you project your own qualities onto a higher being, i. e God? And that the psyche creates a father figure that guides you in the world? That might be completely different to what you meant lol, correct me if I'm wrong

• I was more going on about how each society's god seems to have that particular society's cultural traits.

And in general I meant that yes, it's a human need to want to explain everything around us and if we don't know the answer, we make shit up.

• Ohh right, and yeah I get the making stuff up thing that you said.

• I believe there are elements of truth in all religions and there definitely are correlations. Nobody knows for sure what is really out there but I do think there is something. But all the ritualistic bullshit and the "If you don't do this you'll go to hell" is just silly and is used to control people. You don't need to go to church every Sunday, you don't need to be married to have sex and being gay is not blasphemy. It does not matter. When you die, that is it. Your body rots. You do not fly away to a mystical, magical world.

• Nope but from all the different things you read about any certain religion. They tend to all have some kind of common median in a lot of their stories.

• Not in the slightest. All religions are true.

• Do you think all religions follow the same God but they express the God in different ways or express different aspects of Him?

Or do you think all the different gods exist at the same time?

• I'm an atheist so I have no thoughts on the matter.

But all religions are true from the point of view of their devotees. I'm not going to needlessly cast doubt on that.

• Oh based on your answer, I assumed you were religious! Yeah I get what you mean about the people following the religions believing they're true

• Christianity

• i dont think so.