Passengers shouldn't even FEEL when you apply the brakes?

https://youtu.be/IjUL1Bl22rw?t=1m52s

AAA says that passengers shouldn't even FEEL when you apply the brakes. Is this for real? Is this possible? I have recently started learning how to drive and am at around 10-15 hours.

Do you brake like that?

Most Helpful Girl

• They're always going to feel it a bit. You should not be slamming on the brakes so hard that everyone jerks forward and the seat belts lock. But it sounds like they're saying you should have a feather like touch when you apply the brakes. LMAO! If you brake so that your passengers can't even tell you're doing it, you're never going to stop in a reasonable amount of time or in a reasonable distance. Long braking like that will also wear down the brake pads faster. If this is the kind of education drivers are getting now, it's no wonder why insurance rates are so high.

The key is firm and steady pressure on the brake pedal. Shift gears accordingly if you're driving a standard.

• lol featherlike touch

I tried it. It's possible, but not always. You just have to coast, and start slightly breaking very early.

Most Helpful Guy

• Even when I slow down very gradually, there is usually a slight bump. You can actually see it occur in that video, in the moment the car lurches back slightly.

Driving rules are like most other rules, in that they're instructed more strictly than they need to be followed in practical life. Worry about essential things like paying attention to the road, no texting, always wear a buckle, don't run red lights, etc.

What Girls Said 2

• I sometimes brake in enough time for no one to feel it until I get to a complete stop but sometimes I don't.

• That's inertia. You can't help the laws of physics.

What Guys Said 3

• huh... wrong... they know shit LOL

• Well they shouldn't get thrown into the seatbelt haha but they will feel a change from 70 mph to 0. Its just kind physics :S

• I want to know that my breaks are working