How good of a driver are you?

Do you:

1. Always drive no more than 5 mph over the speed limit (other than for extraordinary circumstances) and reduce your speed by 20% in the rain and 50% in the snow?
2. Maintain a minimum of 3 seconds of following distance, and +1 for each of the following conditions: speed 50 mph or over, rain, fog, heavy traffic, sickness, fatigue, +2 for each of the following conditions: snow, ice, following a massive vehicle, following a motorcycle? Pull over and let him/her pass when being followed too closely?
3. Never use electronic devices while driving (including at stoplights and stop signs) unless pulled over or in a parking lot (GPS should be set at the beginning and merely listened to while driving)? This includes using hands-free devices, as studies show that this increases the risk of being in a collision just as much as holding a phone to conduct a call. This also includes listening to music through ear-buds or headphones! Music should be listened to through your car's audio system!
4. Never take your eyes off the road in front of you for more than a quick glance (for things like lane changes, things you can't help but look at).
5. Come to a complete stop at stop signs and always stop at the line for stop signs and traffic lights? Always activate your blinker at least 100 feet away from the turn (unless it would otherwise cause confusion), including backing and lane-changing?
6. Follow the rules on yielding? Remember, "The right of way is given, not taken."
7. Drive smoothly? Passengers should hardly even feel you applying the brakes, accelerating, or turning, in most cases.
8. Scan 12-15 seconds ahead of you for potential hazards and practice defensive driving tactics to minimize the risk of getting into an accident and/or minimizing the severity of a prospective accident?
9. Only use the left lane for passing?
10. Make sure you are not at all under the inf

• 0-1: You have no business being on the road, asshole/bitch.
  • 2-3: Average driver.
  • 4-5: Better than most.
  • 6-7: Quite rare!
  • 8-9: Almost unheard of!
  • 10: Become a driving instructor!
"10" was, "Make sure you are not at all under the influence of drugs or alcohol and have taken care of your drowsiness to the best of your ability."

Most Helpful Girl

• All but 4 and 7. Usually you will feel me break, the car jolts a tiny bit when I stop. And I make frequent glances at my rearview mirrors, trying to get a complete sense of whats happening hind me.

I should note that I am also a new driver. I got my license when I was a kid, around 15/16, but my parents wouldn't get me a new car until I practiced enough. And there seemed to be no end in sight, so I just stopped. (I wasn't practicing enough anyway, to be fair, as it had to be on my parents schedule and I was driving my moms car) I left home at 18 and lived in New York City and traveled through Europe for a few years. (No need at all ever to drive) I just moved back home, to eliminate rent and living expenses while I go to graduate school. And I feel like I'm learning to drive all over again, only now I have my own car so I take it more seriously. I take driving pretty seriously, so I probably wouldn't break the laws intentionally, but I may accidentally break the rules now that I'm driving more these days.

• You should give yourself a 9 then because as you said, you only "make frequent glances". That's okay. Some people do it for more than that and that's when it gets dangerous.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't like teenagers who talk about what a good driver they are. They aren't. Just this morning I got cut off by a kid turning left into traffic after running a red because he was busy texting.

1. Adjust your speed to the people around you. If they are all going the speed limit that's fine, but going the speed limit when everyone else is going 10-15 above is more dangerous than speeding in that instance.

2. Basic common sense and not being an idiot. You don't need to pull over and give someone a buffer unless they're an idiot or have sirens.

3. Again common sense. You're in control of a metal battering ram, don't text people your autobiography while you're driving.

4. Again common sense, and again driving a metal battering ram.

5. This is legality, but not always necessary. Under most circumstances do this, but you don't need to come to a complete stop on a turn lane while the light while the turning light is green.

6. Don't drive like an idiot. Again, common sense.

7. Don't drive like an idiot. Again, common sense.

8. You shouldn't be allowed to drive a vehicle if you aren't watching where you're going. Don't drive like an idiot. Again, common sense.

9. That's a 3 lane road. The left lane is the fast lane. Don't be slow in the fast lane and you won't get passed.

10. You should be shot in the knees on principle for doing that. Don't drive like an idiot. Again, common sense.

What Girls Said 33

• I'm pretty sure I'm a 7.
    iv only been driving alone for just over a year now so i consider myself good for that amount of time. my driving overall is quite safe and i like to stick to the rules unless I'm in a rush or the drivers around me aggravate me.

• 9, it would be 10 but in my country we drive on the left hand side so we only use the right lane for overtaking

• I'm driving nothing. And that's why I'm alive so far.
    I'm a good 1. But on GTA 5, man I'm like a 2.

• I'm like... a 1.5 but fuck you I'm still drivin'.

• I drive too fast for sure and I check my phone when I stop at lights. I also run red lights when I see no danger and no one is about (I live in the coutryside, everyone runs red lights) but apart from that I'm an attentive driver. I only passed my test about 18 months ago so I haven't gotten any terrible habits yet... other drivers however...

• I think I had about 8-9. I'm a good driver. :) I'm one of the best drivers, according to my car insurance which rewarded me with 30% discount! :P

• Surprisingly, I scored 7. I don't consider myself a particularly good driver, but I'm at least polite to other people on the road, haha.

• I text at stop lights. I've driven drunk before an highly recommend that people don't. I also California roll. So I'm a 7.

• I follow the rules!!! If it says 30 then ill go 30... If the speed is 25 then ill go 25.. Everything I follow ^_^ not everyday... Sometimes I go fasttttt not going to lie...

• This is a pretty silly scale. Getting a 6 which I did is just common sense.

• You would be amazed as to how little actual drivers follow these rules. Much easier said than done.

• I dont drive :p

• I just read the first one and started laughing my ass off 😂. No one here has any business selecting that "10" or even "6-7" for that matter.

• I'd say I'm an 8-9.

• I'd like to agrue with number one. I never drive more than the speed limit. EVER! I see things in black and white and it's illegal to go over the speed limit even by one mile per hour.

• I'm still a newbie :(

• Its too long for read

• haaaa! I like to think I'm average ahha

• i think i do all these things except number 7

• Im a terrible driver. grew up in Austria and live in NYC. I rarely drive and when I do I am nervous.

• G: I make sure I run over 20 people every time

• Average driver. I suck at 8, sometimes 1. 2 is impossible during rush hours.

• Asian + woman = horrible :P

I'm only Asian so I'm just bad.

• @Ihav2fart come on! give me at least a little credit for not doing the other 7 things 😂

• I'm average

• still a L plater so im alright ahah haven't broke any rules yet :) hahahah

• I do all of those except I speed sometimes not intentionally though and I need to work on stopping.

• I don't have my L's yet, but I am a pretty good driver.

• An invisible one, I can't drive.

• I just started driving a few days ago... So I'm not too good.

• Sorry but sometimes blue tooth enabled calls are necessary for an hour plus drive every day

• I do use my phone to change music >.>
    But when standing still only

• I've already been in a really bad accident. I was fourteen, learning to drive on the farm, and it gave me PTSD. It took me four years to get behind the wheel again, and everytime Id try I would start sobbing and shaking uncontrollably. Five years later, I'm taking my drivers test in a month. Let's hope I pass, because im super cautious and follow every rule.

• More from Girls
    3

What Guys Said 45

• one note rgarding 7. That is a rule you're allowed to break. For example when entering the highway from a smaller road. If there's no acceleration field, you're supposed to put the pedal to the metal (so to speak), unless the road is empty. This to ensure that you don't slow down the trafic (and good luck entering a heavily traficed road if you were to accelerate slowly and smoothly).
    And also good luck driving on norwegian roads without the passengers feeling your turns. You'd have to go 30 to 50 km/h on every single road ever, save for the main highways.
    Lastly, good luck not noticing gear changes when going low gear. At least on manual cars.
    As for the first one; a 50% reduction isn't helping jackshit on pure ice. You loose 90% of the traction on ice, whn having regular tires. And even with studded tires, 50% reduction is pushing your luck XD
    50% on snow is borderline ok if using summer tires, but over here in norway... let's just say there's a reason winter tires (preferably studded ones) are a requirement during winter. But yea, if you're using summer tires during the winter, just change them ^^

Clearly this guide is meant for highway driving, with automatic transmission cars, and for areas where winter is a foreign word XD :P

• 1. I drive the speed of traffic. And since the main road in my town is a highway, that's like 15 mph above the speed limit.

2. I always leave a large distance between me and other cars, but then people tailgate me a lot.
    Check.

3. I can hold the volume button on my phone to change the song, and it's easy, and that's just as unsafe as using the volume knob so...
    Check.

4. Actually you're supposed to constantly be on the lookout all around you. You wanna know what's happening everywhere.
    So, check?

5. I use my blinker but I don't usually stop all the way at stop signs.

6. Yeah, until other fucking idiot drivers try to be polite.
    Check.

7. Yes, I actually try really hard at this. Probably about 50% of my focus goes into this.
    Check.

8. Yep.
    Check.

9. Or for speeding.
    Check.

10. Check.

• viralchakra.com/.../...oad-during-police-chase.gif

Based on those I shouldn't be on the road, but I'm an excellent driver. Police can't hold me.

• I voted F, but I rather

VOTE G__ I'm the driving instructors driving instructors.

"... Pull over and let him/her pass when being followed too closely?"

-HELL NO!!! I hit my f-ing brakes if they do that, maybe not, lol. Them doing that means they are speeding. Now if someone in front is going way to slow, I simply go around them.

At for "#7." I'll drive smoothly only when the people around me are. I won't stay around slow pokes. As for looking ahead of me, my eyes are all the way down the road, not just 12-15 seconds.

• I love driving and I'm a good driver, but very careless (I speed a lot) so according to that chart I'm terrible lol. I have great car control though.

• I am a 9, the only thing I don't care about is speed limits. I consider myself a good and responsible driver but on the motorways sometimes the speed limits are useless, especially when it's not busy at all. I know how fast I can go without being dangerous.

• I mostly stopped driving, my wife does nearly all the driving. She's very good at it (normal: I was her instructor, back then.) I'm an excellent passenger.

• There are two different kinds of "good driver". One who may not be 'gifted' but obeys all the road rules, and the other is physically good drivers, who are gifted in controlling a vehicle (race car drivers and such).

Going with the former, I'd say I'm a 9 or 10. I'm 20 and have never had an offence against me, and out of all of my car enthusiast friends, I'm the only one who made it to my full license.

Funny thing is that the news/media classifies me and my friends as typical 'hoons' because of what we drive, our age etc.

I drive a fast car, doesn't mean I drive a car fast.

• My driving skills are very normal and average. I always say there are no bad drivers but only experienced ones.
    However I think there is a very few people who respect the road and people in it, and that is the real problem in my view. The ability to know WHY every road is made for you to communicate who have the right while you are driving with others.

• For me it depends on the traffic. If every one's doing 70km/h in a 50 then I'm not going to lag behind snd potentonally cause more problems.

• I cut my phone on silent so I'm not distracted and keep it facedown if charging. Can't legally drink, and don't wanna drink and drive. I won't be selfish enough to do no stupid shit like that and risk my life and someone elses. I dont drive drowsy unless I absolutely have to.

Otherwise, I drive like I'm from the ghetto (and I am) and that means good enough to keep myself and others alive, but the road rage is real.

• I guess if I was texting in my 125cc motorcycle I would die the minute before that...

• I've totaled three cars and haven't drove in five years. I have no business behind the wheel.

• 0 i have no idea bout drivin LOL

• I'm a pretty good driver cautious since you not only have to pay attention for yourself but for other people as well.

• I am very sensitive about driving and I hate bad driversm I literally hate a person if ai see he/she does not follow rules and basic driving sense.

My rule in life, a person's driving tells you about his character. And I judge. I am not a lier.

I fail on 1 and 3. I usually follow the "not more than 10% above" speed limit rule. And as for 3, my car stereo does not work so I use earbuds. But I do not change songs while driving. I am not a random song listener.

• I am a safe driver

• I drive like an NYC cab driver lol. Also nobody where I live follows rule 2 or 9, ever. Too much traffic for that.

• I've got mad driving skills... everyone who's been a passenger in my car has said it.

I've got 5000 miles on the clock since I got my licence 2-3 years ago.

• These rules aren't at all difficult to follow. It's just common sense. I feel sorry for whatever city you live in if a driver following simple rules is as common as a unicorn.

• I listen to music on the road because it keeps me in a good mood, which I think helps with safety more than it harms it.

• I'm an aggressive driver

• I'm mechanically a good driver but I'm just fucking reckless. I've gotten a lot of stares, horns and even people freaking out yelling at me because I almost caused them to crash, hah.

I got a real bad habit of looking at my phone and driving. I'm not even texting, I'm just surfing the web and stuff.

• I'm basically do none of these things. Yet I consider myself to be a good driver.
    I should reevaluate my life.

• not a driving sensei, but been around cars all my life. so i know how they handle and how the shouldn't. manual cars get thrashed by me. autos not so much. these days just happy to cruise in my auto. also done a defensive driving course.

its not your driving you have to worry about, its the others AROUND you. never assume the other guy is a driving god. could be a kid learning to drive and may just shit themselves

• i'm a 10/10.. Racecar driver.. in my mind ;) But in all honesty i follow every basic rule except the speed limit, that is about it.

• I should become a driving instructor, I'm like Jesus behind the wheel

• I'm a good driver as far as awareness and speed limit. I always go speed limit even on the freeways. Sometimes people will complain that I'm drive too slow. Now on a motorcycle I will go a little faster than cars on the freeway. It's actually a little safer that way than being the slow ass and worrying about cars hitting you from behind. It's a one-and-done type deal on a motorcycle. I go speed limit on residential roads whether in a car or motorcycle.

• I drive on the pavement and run people down with my middle finger out the window.
    So... 10?

• More of a putter, but that's not saying much.

• More from Guys
    15