Is an MA television rating the equivalent of what an R rating is for the movies?

There's this new show on Lifetime and it's rated MA and I told my mom I would never watch that show because it was rated MA and she said she thought it just meant Mature Audience only. I told her it does but that rating was the equivalent of what an R rating is for movies, which pretty much means anything goes and not much is censored.

So, I'm just curious if I'm correct on that or not. Does MA in the television rating system mean anything goes?

Most Helpful Guy

• TV MA has a wide range since it's the most extreme rating for TV. It all depends on what channel it's on though.

For most channels it's essentially PG-13 but with more violence. Shows like the Walking Dead will never say anything more extreme than shit and will never actually show nudity beyond maybe a butt or side boob. However, they don't really skimp out on the violence.

However, there are also obviously all the pay channels that get the rating with full blown swearing and nudity and hardcore violence.

What Guys Said 4

• I think you are right - Here is a link
    en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_Parental_Guidelines

• MA can show boos, pussy and dicks and plenty of sexual scenes as well

• No it doesn't mean that. I think it means language and violence. You can't have nudity on TV.

• Why does it matter? You're 28. And yes, it's equivalent to R rating.

• Because, I don't like seeing that inappropriate stuff.

• I understand. Anyways yeah, M is equivalent to R but I've noticed that M rated shows actually show more stuff than R rated movies.

What Girls Said 4

• MA just usually means there is going to be some nudity and sexual scenes. Whereas rated R is usually an indication of graphic violence.

• MA is mature audience.

• No it's worse, TV MA can show boobs, pussy and dick. It can also show dirtier sex scenes

• basically yeah...