GAGers: What is your stance on the usage of torture?

Do you think modern society should still be allowed to use torture as a means of gathering intel and/or punishment, or do you think we should discard all methods of torture because it's "primitive"? And why?

• I am for the use of torture, to both the punish criminals and extract information from our enemies.
  • I am only for the use of torture to punish the worst of criminals (Murderers and rapists).
  • I am only for the use of torture to get information, regarding our national security, from our enemies.
  • I am fully against torture, regardless of the reason behind its use.

Most Helpful Guy

• As a means of getting information in an emergency, yes.

People who oppose this are dropping the context of rights. Rights are predicated to life, because there would be no rights without life. This is somewhat the equivalent of a boat that will sink unless one passenger is thrown overboard. Even though it would be morally wrong and ought to be illegal in most contexts to kill an innocent person, in that context it would be morally right and ought to be legal. These examples are, by the way, extremely rare and almost everyone will never experience such a situation, though university professors obsess about them anyway in order to avoid dealing with the bulk of ethics, which is rightly about how to live ethically in everyday life.

What Girls Said 1

• I've used some kind.

• Same here.

• @SnowHearth Oh, like helping a Polish teenager torture some baddies?

• @Xelebrum focus on teaching little kids.

What Guys Said 12

• Information gathered from torture is often wrong:

en.wikipedia.org/.../Effectiveness_of_torture_for_interrogation

• Torture is not only inhumane but mostly futile. It is proven that most subjects will hold out and then give false information..

Establishing respect and rapport with your prisoner is much more effective.

• No unless you want to prevent a massive war or genocide or something of the sort.

• I am against it as morally wrong and ineffective as a means of gathering reliable information.
    In an emergency however, sometimes exceptions should be made.

• I agree with torture when it is national security at risk but I don't think we should torture criminals, but we should kill the worst of them

• I see no reason not to use it, I chose A and fully support that decision.

• Plenty of arguments here already

• I support it for terrorists/treasonists.

• Within humane limits I voted C

• Torture is necessary or criminals would not talk.

• I personally feel that while torture is a very effective method of extracting information, it shouldn't be the first or only one used. It should only be a last resort type of thing.

• I'm not saying people should be tortured for a speeding ticket. The fact that law enforcement is even considering torturing somebody means they did something seriously wrong. If somebody committed a crime that serious they are property of the government now. They have forfeited there human rights by committing a crime that severe. Torturing success rate is high, if there is one thing about the government is they don't fix what isn't broken.

• Well if you enjoys being ot

• It's a breach of Human Rights and not civilized country uses torture.