What's your take on population growth?

There are roughly around 7 billion people on earth and from what I hear we're suppose to reach around 9 billion by 2050. Do you think we should regulate the amount of children we're having like China, where they currently have the one-child policy, or otherwise? I personally feel like we should regulate the amount of children we have, because as the population grows there'll be more mouths to feed and where are we getting food from... our environment in which we've been destroying. So yeah, what's your take on it?

Most Helpful Guy

• Nah, just keep abortion legal and keep pushing for more secularism. Secular societies seem to be having lower birth rates, keep the population educated and the information flowing and they'll all flow into that direction.

What Guys Said 13

• The population ain't growing in China or Asia in general tho.
    The population is aging.

Africa is where all the babies are coming from.

• This is where God comes in. As more people are born then the food supply will increase to meet them by excess of 10% as it has always been. More food will be produced on less land as has occured in the present and past. It is not a food thing. About 15 years ago we were told that our oil supply would run out in 20 years, Brazil, Argentena, and the USA has just found windfalls of oil along with Canada. Do not believe man, God said there was more than enough.

• The average number of children per family around the world had come down... In China, one child policy has been relaxed. 2 kids are now allowed. It has been argued that even without one child policy, China's birth rate would have been low anyway.. It's been projected that China's population is going to comedown and India will takeover as the most populous. Africa is pretty much the one will have the high birth rate.

I don't think we need to take a drastic regulation when it comes to having children.. Just give the people a chance of education and opportunity and people themselves will tend to have not many children.. We are not that fucked.

• China stopped their one child policy like a decade ago. It's effective for them but it's also going to screw them over once they have an absurd amount of elderly people and few young people to work pay for their medicare and retirement homes.

The issue will probably cause some serious issues decades down the road (when I say issues I mean scenarios that will result in millions upon millions of dead people). And then it'll basically just resolve itself with the huge drop in population.

• Y'all have never been to Alaska have you?
    Anyway, the environment controls the population. If there wasn't enough resources, the population wouldn't be growing. Not for long.
    If we want to avoid a huge and sudden drop in the population (or in other words, a shit ton of death) yeah, we should start regulating a bit, but the environment will even things out eventually.

• How so?

• When groups of organisms form up too closely, something always occurs to push the population back down.
      Plague, famine, basically any resource is competed for so extremely that the organisms die off until there is a stable population again.

• http://i.imgur.com/pFgAp.jpg

I'm with Dwight on this one

• Yup China is an example for poor countries everywhere.

Populations tend to control themselves when living conditions improve anyway

• That's fine. I won't be around when the world is over populated any how. I'm selfish that way

• I agree, we should regulate the amount of children we are allowed to have. one or 2 at the most.

• we are so fucked...

• millions of people die in a day,, ithink there's gonna be a balance of the population

• Humans need to stop making little humans for a while, maybe every other year or just stop for 10 years. We think human life is precious but we don't treat it like that. Things are precious because they are rare. Our population should be about 200 thousand. We just need to make less babies.

• It's a country by country issue. Many industrialized countries actually are not having enough children to replace the current population numbers, due to family planning and the decline of marriage.

It's trashy countries like India that are a problem.

What Girls Said 2

• I think we should let the weak go and the strong survive, sounds harsh but thanks to insane antibiotic use and medical intervention for everything under the sun, nature can no longer use natural selection as a form of population control like it's supposed to be. Our population would drop drastically if we were more mindful of who were save and why..

• Yes, I totally agree.

• I definitely agree with you. Overpopulation should be taken seriously or else humans will be handicapped in the future.