Can you tell me your experiences with keeping hamsters as pets?

And would a hamster be OK for a guy that lives alone and is at work 8 hours a day five days a week? Or will it get lonely?

Do hamsters like being held? Or do they like being left alone?

Most Helpful Guy

• I've had both hamsters and guinea pigs as a teenager. I think generally it's okay to have hamsters and work full-time. Hamsters are not like cats or even dogs, they don't need a lot of human attention. However, I would strongly advise you to buy two of them because they do get lonely. This happens regardless of whether you are there or not. A hamster doesn't care so much about humans but it needs some kind of buddy or girlfriend/boyfriend to play with. Otherwise they get very depressed and sometimes even stop eating. Also, you should notice that hamsters are night-active. So when you are at work during the day, the hamsters will be mostly sleeping but during the night they will wake up and run around. This is why I'd also advise you to NOT put the cage anywhere near your bed. Hamsters can be pretty loud, especially if you buy them this wheel to run in (they really like it!). I used to have my hamsters next to my bed but they were making so much noise that I couldn't sleep and my parents had to move the cage to the living room.
    AS for the holding the hamsters and cuddling with them: this really depends on the individual animal. Some of them like it and some don't. I had one hamster that was totally fine with it and would crawl around on my arm like a mouse and I had one that peed and pooped on my hand every time I tried to hold it and one time it also bit me in my finger.

What Girls Said 1

• Hamsters can be left alone pretty much all day, if you've got 2 or more. Otherwise, they'll need attention from you. They don't like a lot of human interaction and cleaning their cage is quite easy. Hamsters are pretty boring pets, in my opinion.

What Guys Said 4

• Better caged i guess

• I had a hamster when i was 7.
    It was really fun and yes u can hold them.
    U might also want to clean the cage every night and give them plenty of water and also put a wheel in it so it won't be bored while u are away :-)

• They don't dig being held at first, but if you get a good one they get used to it. I had a hamster that was cool, he was really docile. My brother's hamster seemed to be a dick for no reason. Hamsters are mostly nocturnal, so if you work during the day they aren't going to notice that you're gone. lol

• I really don't know... but... I know this may be off topic. Do you remember the fad back in the 80's when people were putting hamsters in their asses and ending up in the ER to have them removed? Yes, this was true. Look it up...