Would you consider leaving America to get free college taught in English in Germany?

http://www.BBC.co.uk/news/magazine-32821678

I got so much debt from graduating from a US college. My brother is thinking about going to Germany. I bet he won't have to deal with so much politically correct social justice crap we have on our campuses either. Would you consider it?

Most Helpful Guy

• I am continental European but if I was American, I would most likely do that. Having tens of thousands of dollars college-debt is just plain stupid and ridiculous. Plus, I wouldn't even want to support such a shitty system that basically privileges all the kids with rich daddies and discriminate against millions of families that are less well off. I also believe that education is a universal right that you shouldn't have to financially ruin yourself for.
    I do agree wie GirlsScoutsRevenge that it is questionable to take advantage of other countries' free education system although you've never paid taxes there. I'm pretty sure Germany is NOT okay with that ;-). But then again, maybe your brother will like it so much over here that he will actually stay and get a job in Europe , which would again make the whole thing morally more acceptable. And to be honest, I would definitely be too worried about my financial future to let such an opportunity go by, even though it's morally tricky.
    Finally, I also believe most central/northern European countries offer a far better higher education than American colleges. I'm excluding here all the Ivy League colleges in the US because I know they have an excellent quality (but then again, only millionaires or geniuses can attend them). One thing I like about continental European colleges (I am explicitly saying continental European, Britain is becoming more and more American) is that they require a very strict specialization already on the B. A.-level. Whereas most American colleges are sort of like an advanced version of high school, where you still have all kinds of different subjects, European Universities expect that you already learned all these things in high school (German Gymnasiums or French Lycée are something between American high school and colleges in terms of difficulty). So when you attend a European University, you have to choose the subject that you actually want to study and you will exclusively have classes in that one subject. This gives you the opportunity to immerse yourself much more into that subject.
    Personally, I wouldn't necessarily go to German because what I don't like about German universities is the fact that they are quite Americanized in the sense that there are "good" and "bad" universities. I would rather either come to Switzerland, or go to any of the Scandinavian countries where every university has the same, top-notch quality. Also, what do you mean by political correctness crap?

What Girls Said 3

• Seems like too much trouble to avoid something that everyone goes through in America.
    If you can afford to go there and don't mind missing friends and family and being in a foreign country for most of the year then go for it

• It was a sad day when free education was taken from this country. Now we have unemployed graduates with crippling debts... because that's great for the economy!

I think it's a bit shitty of someone to go to another country, where they have never paid a cent in tax and get a free degree - but if Germany is cool with it then it really isn't any of my business.

• But to actually answer the question, no. I wouldn't go to another country to take advantage of their education system. People do it to my country now and it's killing us.

• You won't be the only one free loading off them. people from UK go there for that and they will push public service costs to a higher rate to make up for the loss. You'll still need money for personal expenses.

What Guys Said 7

• You need to be fluent in most college courses as well as a lot of US education only being partially accepted in Germany.

I would consider Netherlands instead as they teach in English

• I'd consider leaving America.
    Oh wait...

• The primary purpose of college is to get a job. Would you want to work and stay in Germany then?

• yeah ofcourse

• I would if I found out my degree would be accepted here.

• No political correctness? The whole Western Europe is already politically correct.

• And I still like the colleges and universities in the United States

• But as long as I can pay my tuition of the College of the Holy Cross, I will not consider that; American higher education system is still very advanced by the content it offers.

• That's a good college from what I hear. Good for you man

• Yes, I would because student debt is the highest form of personal debt in the US...