Equality in the job market?

Do you think the reason why women are paid less is because they take maternity leave?

I was listening to this guy makes this argument. Basically he was having a discussion with a female HR manager, she told a story about how she hired a lady and then a month later she had to take maternity and left HR scrambling to find a replacement. She conceded that this is now in her mind whenever she has a choice between hiring a man and woman. Do you think this is a reason why women are paid less?

And do you think if men could paternity leave, there would be equality?

0|0
2|7

Most Helpful Guy

• Of course, that's going to be a factor! Of course the risks and costs will be factored in. Tellingly, women don't complain, for example, about the fact that men pay more for car-insurance than women.

We hear about independent women all the time. I love genuinely independent women. Women, be genuinely independent, and take responsibility for your own life choices. If you want your employer to give you maternity leave, you are welcome to try to persuade him or her by showing the value you produce. Persuade. Don't demand that a gun be put to his or her head! A business is a business, not a charity. You wouldn't be happy if Netflix for example were to tell you that it's not going to provide a service for the next sixth months but that you have to keep paying anyway or else you will be prosecuted or sued. You would be angry. Why expect employers to tolerate what you as a consumer or as an employee would not tolerate?

The anti-business people like to have both ways. On the other one, we are told that businesses are greedy and will do anything for a buck. On the other hand, we are told that businesses are sexist, racist, etc. Well, if businesses are greedy, they will hire the best people. They won't be sexist, racist, etc, because hiring worse people will decrease profit margins. They will judge employees only in rational ways, one of which is of course the risk of (in whatever circumstances) the employee's departure.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• i dont think so.

0|0
    0|0
  • Men can have paternity leave lol
    And you don't get maternity leave from only working a month. At least not in America.
    A woman already earns less, but when the employer knows she is going to be on maternity leave they doc the pay even more in order to compensate for the missed work (because benefits still have to be paid for)

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 6

• i believe both genders should b paid equall. y... no matter wot

1|0
    0|0
  • No. In the modern age women should be paid the same but I think that men are more likely to leave a job even if they love it in the pursuit of money. Im not sure as im not a woman but I think women would need to take materinty as I can't see a woman being able to go back to work after a couple of weeks. Generally speaking I think women would prefer to take the full materinty rather than have their man take paternity as its kind of a mothering instinct but sometimes there is no choice as money has to be earned and whoever earns the most will probably go back to work. In this modern world companies will just have to be flexible as women will have babies and they will be replacing this generation of workers. Children are a countries future snd greatest resource, just look at japan and Russia with their falling birth rates and aging population.

0|0
    0|0
  • The wage gap has been debunked by expert after expert for decades now.

The only people spreading this lie are people with a political motive and the people duped by those with the political motive.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes we call it 21 st century still in some profession womens get paid less then man for the same job.. It is wrong there should has to be done some thing for this agenda!

0|0
    0|0
  • It's one reason, yes.

Men and women are paid roughly the same if they both work in the same field, anyway.

0|0
    0|0
  • Women aren't paid less. That's been debunked several times. There's a report commissioned by the Department of Labor which clearly indicates that the wage gap is explained by the choices of individuals in both career pursuits, lifestyle choices, and hours worked.

Employers are NOT paying women less.

0|2
    1|0