Who here was / is very shy growing up?

Another post made me reflect on my life. Up until about age 17 I was very, very, very shy and timid. I couldn't talk to girls and when I'd give speeches in class my voice was inaudible because I was so afraid lol. My hands would shake because I was so afraid.
Now I give speeches at work all the time. It's truly amazing to look back and reflect.

Most Helpful Girl

• Me! Giving presentations in class was always the worst. Someone asked me once if I was speaking Chinese because I spoke so fast just so I could sit down and get out of the ordeal, haha. Whoops.

What Girls Said 12

• I was !! But when I was in high school I was shy but still talked to everyone in my class. Just one of those people who would analyze everyone for days before I would actually talk to them.
    I moved away from my country at 18, got a new job at 19. After tht I came out of my shell. Now I'm not that shy, I'll talk to people anywhere really.

• I was and still am very shy. I got teased and bullied a lot growing up which did nothing for my already low self esteem. It's gotten much better as I've gotten older, but I think I'll always be shy.

• I can't imagine you as a shy person! Haha. I'm still a little shy tho. Sometimes I blush and I hate itttt.

• You're a professional dancer right? You can't be that shy :)

• Woah, professional is a big word. Anyway, dancing is one of those few things I could never be shy about, yeah.

• I used to be extremely shy growing up. I'm a lot better now but it's still hard for me to give presentations in class tbh.

• I'm shy but in elementary I was so shy they thought I was slow or something of the sort was wrong with me. Middle school I got alittle better and now I think I'm pretty much ok although I'm generally quiet unless spoken to or if its friends.

• i was an ugly duckling when i was younger so people making fun of me made me really shy. 0_0 i got cute in high school and people started talking to me more. now i know everyone in town and i'm horribly loud. I look back at the past and cringe.

• Totallyyyy the same way. My former life is so much cringe-worthy lol. I'm definitely in the ugly duckling club as well in my opinion.

• Up until I was 18/19 I was really shy. It was mostly in school though, I got out of it but I can be quite shy at times. Not nearly as bad when I was 12/13 though and I'm thankful for that.

• Always was shy and still am shy.

• i was very shy and ran away when classmates came to talk to me

• Yeah I'm wicked shy. Until I get to know people but big groups I'm still shy.

• I've always been shy and still am

• I'm a shy introvert. I got anxiety before speeches or presentations in school. I still get a bit of anxiety during certain situations, like for work but it's not as bad. I'm glad you were able to overcome it and are now confident giving speeches! :)

What Guys Said 13

• not so amazin... i was fuckin shy during my teens, and if i had da chance 2 go back in time i'd smash my then retarted-self's head!!

• Lol I so wish I could "smash my then retarted-self's head" like sooooo many times in my life lmao

• yeah bro, and being very shy wasn't my only flaw!! i was a bag of shit both from inside n outside.. i totally disown my then-self now :|

• Yep, I was extremely shy during high school. It was difficult making friends because of it, part of which I do regret. I think people thought I just hated them haha. But I've grown out of it ever since university. I started taking the initiative to talk with other people and you know, it worked out for the better :) I'm still quiet from time to time but I don't mind voicing myself out there.

• I was shy back in the day, I still kinda am, but knowing that I am an "adult" now and we are on a similar page and people aren't just out to get you anymore, I'm more at ease.

• Right here and I still kinda am :/
    Thing that sucks is I'm told that I look like the loud talkative guy and I'm expected to walk into a room and rape everybody with my physical presence

• I was shy growing up and still very quiet now.

• I'm fall into the "is" part of that. I hate speaking to groups, or people I don't know... terrifying :(

• You're 16 so it's totally normal. What worked for me was just constantly forcing myself out of my comfort zone.

• Thanks for the advice :) Did I just say I'm fall? I need some sleep.

• I have never been shy in my whole life lol, but I was a very quiet kid up until I was 12 or 13.

• I was pretty shy as a child. I'm not at all shy now.

• I was waaaaay shy until maybe 14. That's when I joined student government and had to stand up in front of people all the time.
    I also joined a group that teaches about leadership to elementary students.
    Long story short, I've spoken in front of groups of hundreds of students, I was elected president of my district student government this year, and I'm very comfortable talking in front of people.
    I think what really helped me grow into this was getting away from a really bad situation and realizing that no one wants you to get up there and fail.
    No one wants to watch a guy get up there and stutter.
    People WANT you to do well.

• I was yes especially around hot girls but now I can talk to really hot girls but I am afraid of hot women.

• Me too, I used to be scared in class to give a speech or volunteer to do things like do a problem on the board and explain it or whatever but now I was at a training thing they sent us to for work and I volunteered to role play some sales stuff and also went infront of about 30 others to share my thoughts.

big change, I think it's just part of growing up, also shows you how bad the school environment really is, or maybe it's just that I'm kinda cocky now

• No actually I was never really that shy I performed in a musical when i was ten as one of the main characters and I had to sing three songs...

• I used to be incredibly outgoing up until I was around 16. I would walk up and start a conversation to anyone I wanted. i. e. the stereotypical badass in school that people would make insane rumors about him doing something crazy and everyone was afraid to talk to him I walked right up to him and started chatting to him because I didn't believe the rumors and wanted to know the truth for myself. I wouldn't say I'm shy now but I just do not care about talking to people unless I find it absolutely necessary.