Do you believe the death penalty is an effective deterrent to prevent crime from happening?

Feel free to discuss or debate this or just leave a vote in the poll.

• Yes I do
  • No i do not
  • Depends on the crime (please say)
  • Depends on something else (please say)

Most Helpful Guy

• No it does not work and never has worked to prevent crime. Countries where the death penalty is illegal have the lowest violent crime rates. While countries with the highest executions have higher violent crimes. In fact the only first world country that still uses the death penalty is the US. The rest of countries that use the death penalty are third world countries run by dictatorships.

• Maybe the causal relationship runs the other way?

• @NateinAk no it doesn't. Because psychologists who study the reasons people murder agree that the death penalty doesn't work to deter them. The only people who think the death penalty work are the uneducated. And don't give me testimony from an experienced cop or warden in a jail. Because education is different from experience. A 25 year old psychologist would be better qualified to answer that question than a 40 year old cop.

What Girls Said 12

• I don't believe so. Capital punishment hasn't deterred people from committing heinous crimes for centuries. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

• No I do not. Carrying out a negative act against a negative act, it does not promote good behaviour at all. It does not do anything, except rid another person after another. Meh. If somebody has the desire to murder another person, a death penalty does not matter to them at all. There are the sane and there are the insane. lol. :)

• The death penalty has been around for thousands of years, and yet violent crimes are still committed.

• If someone was convicted (proven guilty; not just accused) of child rape, harming an innocent child; then yes, I do think the person deserves the death penalty.

However, if a person was the murder someone; I think that person deserves to rot in jail. The family needs justice of the murder victim and spending the rest of that persons life in jail seems like good justice to me.

• Oh shit I voted no, I meant yes. I am 100% pro death penalty, combined with rotting on death row for years first.

• Crime rates by state seem to reflect that it's not effective.

• no I do not

• When they execute someone, it just clears out a cell for the next guy. Crime will always exist.

• example : rape, corruption, terorism

• Nope. Criminals will continue to commit crimes regardless of the consequences.

• I DO believe so. Capital punishment HAS deterred people from committing heinous crimes for centuries. This will always be the thin line guarding your life.

• I don't think it's acceptable. Say a woman was given the death penalty for murdering her neighbors. Killing her would not prove that killing is wrong, because she has the death penalty! Murder is the only crime I can think of that would require the death penalty, so I don't think that it's accepable, I think it's a but hypocritical.

• thats not what im asking though, im asking if you think the death penalty prevents people from committing crimes?

What Guys Said 15

• If it were carried out in a timely fashion it would be a more effective deterant. With years to appeal it it doesn't work very well

• I neither know nor care about the deterrent factor. What I like about the death penalty is that it removes a scumbag and/or psychopath from society.
    Spending upwards of $300 per day to keep a dirtbag alive, so that they can be released on parole at some future time, to prey upon the public again, is irrational.
    I prefer the Chinese system. Conviction and sentencing is followed by the felon being dragged screaming into a court building courtyard and shot in the head. No 20 years of taxpayer-funded appeals, no demonstrations by the loony left.

• how do you feel if one of those people executed was actually innocent and wrongfully convicted? is it worth it?

• Yes. I am interested in removing the scumbags from society. As detectives I know have said to me, if the person whom they charged was not guilty of that particular offence, they knew damned well that he/she was guilty of something else.
      There will be the occasional case of a person who is executed for a crime that they did not commit, but I believe that is an acceptable risk when the overall safety and order of society is considered.
      If I became El Duce tomorrow, a huge proportion of the existing prison population would be given a big communal shower.
      I can see no point in spending billions each year to keep alive rapists, child molesters and habitual offenders.

• I don't understand why we can't blast criminals into outer space strapped into a satellite that isn't coming back, so we accomplish two birds with one stone? We don't actually kill them, and we get valuable scientific data sent back?

• Nah, not at all. If anything, I think it just breeds a more violent collective conscience in American society.

Frankly, I'm embarrassed that my country practices it.

• Absolutely not.. Many of the countries with the least amount of crime statistically also don't have the death penalty..

• Obviously not.
    That said, I don't think being a deterrent is the point.
    We don't have the death penalty to keep people from committing crimes.
    We have it because when someone commits murder or treason they show they are a major detriment to our society, so much so that they can't even be kept with our criminal population.
    It's not a deterrent or even revenge, it's disposal.

• The purpose of death penalty isn't to deter people from the crime, but to permanently eliminate someone who is unwilling to integrate with base principals of a well-functioning society.

• and you personally believe in that?

• Depends on the severity of the crime.
      I guess you could say "yes".
      Some people just shouldn't even be given the privilege to enjoy his time in prison and bullying, harassing , raping other inmates. Excessively violent people who are broken from the core.

• If I did something so terrible that I would get the death penalty, I would shoot it out with the police rather then be captured and given lethal injection. This would produce more casualties. Most criminals share this mentality and for that reason the death penalty is not effective at deterring crime. I'd rather die fighting then strapped to a chair.

• The worst crimes are comitted with the approval of the government under which they are comitted. I'm talking about genocide, segregation, state terrorism.
    On a smaller scale, I still don't think the death penalty would change anything. It would only add more bodies to the pile.

• Yes as many sane people would not murder just because of that. At the same time an highly intelligent sociopath wouldn't get caught

• would you say anyone who kills or murders is insane?

• No as many people kill out of anger or self defense. It very likely that that a serial killer insane. The thing that will shock you is how charismatic many serial killers are. That strong charm will bait their victims to there doom.

• yes it tells people that we will not tolerate theses actions and that they have real consciences

• Of course not, that's not really the point of the death penalty though.

• I do not think that it affects crime very much anymore. they basically just sit in prison for years

• Obviously not. It's been in place for centuries and crime is only going up

• I think personally I would be more afraid of prison for life than death. I think if the death penalty would be better if there were cheaper systems and methods and if appeals weren't so time consuming. With current systems I don't like the expenses of the death penalty and only like it for criminals that would have a chance of parole otherwise that don't deserve it. If you are in for life, you are in for life. People get institutionalized after 30 years anyways so they are better off staying in prison, or dying than leaving and coming back or not functioning in society. Just my thoughts though.