College students: What is your major?

My major is Marine Biology. So, I want to change my major, it's a crazy idea because I'm already a senior. I'm afraid that if I change it, I would be making a huge mistake. I'm in love with the ocean and marine life but I feel like I'm doing it because I'm following my father's steps. I'm so confused, I don't want to dissapoint my parents. I want to change my major to Criminal Justice, I'm interested in crime scene investigation.

Maybe, this trip is making me think weird things and I just to go home to my mommy ahahhahaa!

Most Helpful Guy

• I would go ahead and graduate with the degree since you've made it this far. Perhaps once you practice the degree, you will be sure of the decision. It is never too late to tell your father "Dad, I'm glad I got this degree, but it's not for me. I love you." He will most likely understand, but will want to know what else you will do instead because he cares about you. Have an answer prepared.

Afterward you still might be able to get a job with the police and work your way into crime scene investigation naturally.

What Guys Said 15

• Wow you covered a lot in one question.
    Your family will be happy if you are happy so just think of what you want to do and your own peace of mind.
    My degree is in English , Economics and Anthropology.
    Feeling down, I hear you had a few bad days myself, just felt GaG was a drag last few days and change in Xper scoring plus increase in price in RAVEN ( I am getting roughly getting half the points I used to ).
    Woke up this morning really down, I am near a donation level for RAVEN, when I get that I am probably 95% leaving.
    Your homesickness - Sorry to hear that
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...3b35d895dc.jpg
    Here is a hug from everyone in GaG
    images.viralnova.com/.../hugging_animals_08.jpg

• aw I hope you feel better!! and thank you :)

• Thank you

• you're welcome :)

• Depending on the level of law enforcement you want to do crime scene investigations for will depend on the type of major you need. Local law enforcement agencies require just a bachelors degree doesn't matter the concentration of study. A criminal justice degree is not really worth anything and doesn't separate you from all the other applicants at those departments. If you want to work for state or federal agency doing crime scene work you will need a bachelors in a science field and most likely a masters in that field as well. Be mindful these jobs are not where near what they appear on TV.

• Finish your Marine Bio degree and see what jobs are out there. Cast a broad net in looking for work. Fishing industry, offshore oil companies, aquariums, scuba instructors, engineering firms all need marine biologists. You can go back for your criminal justice certification if you truly find that nothing interests you.

• My degree is "Bachelor of International Tourism Management, (BITM)", My major is Hospitality.

I can get a Hospitality or Tourism job. I am more interested in the tourism side.

• You're allowed to like more than one thing. I just graduated in physics, but I felt unsure about it a few times. I recognized that it's a big part of who I am with all the work I've put into it, and luckily there's a lot Of directions I could go in physics. My sister's a marine biologist doing research at an aquarium. It's a hard route to get your footing in, but it's rewarding. I'm sure you'll find something you enjoy doing.

• i love marine biology, I was just having doubts ahha :)

• DON'T change your major. Finish and go on for a second Bachelor’s of Science or a graduate degree. This has several advantages.

You will have a college degree.

The second degree will be much easier because you already have about half of the general courses and electives.

You have the option of going on for a graduate degree if you desire.

• My major is Political Science with a focus towards law.

• Computer engineering! :)

• I'm going into Biological Sciences this fall.
    I guess I'll pick an actual major later.

• I studied biochemistry and chemistry... a minor in philosophy...

• uughhh not a chemistry fan ahah but it's interesting though

• Yeah I used to not like it but I learned to like it but I like all science...

• ahha I understand, I love science too! science geek back in middle/high school

• I'm a double major in physics and pure mathematics.

• Mine was Early Childhood Education

• I am a zoology major and I don't know what I want to do with it

• Environmental Science with emphasis on Geospatial studies

• Software Engineering (a Computer Science field).

What Girls Said 10

• Criminal Justice is an almost useless major to be honest. And CSI is not real. But if you're really interested, consider a minor in CJ. Maybe there's a way you can connect it to your major you haven't thought of.

I studied psychology, with an emphasis in behavior analysis. Feel free to bash that if you wish, but I'm moving on to get my master's in applied behavior analysis... the field that's contributing the most towards behavioral interventions for kids on the autism spectrum.

• I really like Criminal Justice, I'm going to finish my marine biology degree, I'm expected to graduate Dec 2015

• Logistics Management. I'm happy with my choice. I can't see myself doing anything else really :/

• Hey mind I ask what's logistics management regarding? 😊

• @kimberleyyy

Sure! Basically logistics management is the management of goods (products) from their point of origin till the point of consumption. Logistics activities//processes consists of warehousing, transportation, materials handling, inventory management, demand forecasting, packaging, procurement and order processing among a few others. Essentially your focus is to manage these activities and to continuously improve them to make more profit for the company you are working for. So it's all about managing and then trying to improve productivity and profitability. In reality you will only manage a few of these processes and not all of them unless you are in a very small company but in most firms you specialize in one area exclusively such as warehousing or inventory management for example. I haven't decided what I will specialize in yet but I'll have to next year :/

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask xD

• ahhhhh college talk just stresses me out haha but i would say to definitely go after YOUR dream. After all when you're older you are going to be working at whatever you end up choosing for the rest of your life. I would suggest you sit down and fully think this out. If you feel like you're going to be miserable being a marine biologist then don't continue. go after your passion and dont let anyone decide for you. you must go for what you love and if criminal justice is what you want then do it. its never too late! plus, you're still young!!

• I'm studying the history of religions and considering doing a second major after or before I finish my history in religion degree. At our school they force everybody to either specialize or double major.

• I'm majoring in Social Work but I have yet to decide if I want to do macro or micro.

• Neurobiology for now

• Well I'm not a college student, but my major will be Vetrenary Medicine.

• Maybe, after you graduate, you just study again major in criminal justice bwahahaha

• Cinema is my major.

• what weird things? are you into boys yet?

• haaa! I've always been into boys lol I mean weird things as in changing my major lol

• people change their major all the time. that's what these years are for... figuring out what you want, as opposed to your parents! you can switch your major like you switch boys... or you switch your outfits! lol...