To those who speak with an accent, can you speak "without" an accent so that people understand you better?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes haha, that's what I do when I am in Germany!

What Guys Said 9

• I have an amalgam of Cockney , Welsh , Cantonese and Canadian accent.
    I think that's gonna be a tricky one to undo lol.

• How did that happen? Did you live in England for sometime but spoke Cantonese at home then moved to Canada?

• @cookiesandcream
      I am born in Hong Kong , my teachers had a cockney accent , some sounds a tad Welsh , a few of my mates were german , I spoke English more than Cantonese, then I flew over to Canada and have been here since.
      Multiculturalism ftw.

• Damn... I can't imagine what you sound like then

• It took a lot of time and effort but I've managed.
    I am Dutch, and the Dutch accent (in spoken English) is probably the worst accent in the world. Hearing it makes me cringe. So I worked on not having one for years, and now people always compliment me on how British I sound. Even some Brits have expressed their surprise when I tell them I am not actually a native.

• Noooooo! I love it! Especially when you say evaporated... or shrimps. Priceless.

• I think my boss is from Haarlem, I could be wrong though.

• @GirlScoutsRevenge Anything "above the rivers" - it's all the same to me :D I'm from the south :)

• There is no thing as a correct accent, but there is a correct pronunciation.
    The accent is resulted from what kind of sounds your mind and more importantly your speaking muscles (tongue, voice cords, lips...) are trained to do since your birth.
    What you are asking is like asking lefty people to right with their right hand and vice-versa.

• What do you mean be "without an accent". How do you define " zero accent"? Not a logical question. Sorry.

• When I speak English I have a mix of local accent and American accent. Though I can imitate a pure cork accent boii. Its easy when I've been here for so long

• I think that would take A LOT of practice, at least if I wanted to try and speak English without accents

• I don`t think there is a button for that just fake accent

• They can but they have to learn it.

• i'm fucking greek. of course i speak with an "accent"... .

What Girls Said 10

• Everyone speaks with an accent even in their native tongue. I slow down my speech an annunciate a little in other countries because I'm a fast talker. The French I speak I try to vary to region and same with Spanish. In Ireland I've had quite a few men speak to me in their every day version of English but once I open my mouth they mainstream it a bit realizing I wasn't born there.

In the Southern States people with heavy accents typically come from rural parts of the country and don't often leave them. The best they can do is slow down and get mad when you can't understand them. East Texas really is like King of the Hill. The blond one is my favorite East Texas accent because it is impossible to understand but truly does exist.

• Thankfully I can speak English fluently so for me when I do speak English it's seldom so bad that people can't understand me. I only struggle a bit when I haven't been speaking English for a while then I might pronounce words differently but definitely not so bad that people don't get it. But I think people with heavy accents with minimal experience to the English language will find it a bit difficult to "turn off" their accent.

• So you are asking if the speaker can sound American English . Because everyone has an accent. If I drive to Texas, they are going to say I have an accent, and I am going to think the same of them. How about I just try to understand the speaker instead of forcing them to speak "better" so I can understand them :-)

• I'm from the Midwestern U. S. Supposedly that means I don't have an accent... yet I'm from Illinois, and have caught myself slipping into a slight Chicago accent from time to time since my mother was born and raised there (I grew up in Western IL). I've also had a tiny Wisconsin/Minnesota accent after coming back from school in that area. But generally, I have the "typical Midwest accent"...

• I have a well spoken English accent when speaking English but when I speak Welsh I have a Welsh accent so people can understand me better.

• People understand me when I try my best to speak with their accent. If I speak with my accent, they pretend like they know what I'm talking about but actually dont and they'll tell me later that day that they didn't understand me.

• Yes, we have a lot dialects in dutch, but we learn to speak general dutch so we are understandable to everyone.

• We usually don't choose to speak with an accent, I like to tell myself my English is great. But there has been times when someone started laughing because of my pronounciation. And others have told me to try and keep my accent because it was cute?

• I'm Australian, I can't undo that :)

• You mean can you put on an accent? Personally I can't