Is the average male larger, stronger, tougher and faster than the average female?

I was surprized to find conflicting opinions on the matter, what do you think?

• Yes, the average male is larger, stronger, tougher and faster than the average female.
  • No, the two sexes have the same average physical performance.
  • No, the average female is larger, stronger, tougher and faster than the average male.

Most Helpful Guy

• Speaking in the purely physical sense yes, men are superior to women in every regard.

What Girls Said 5

• I would say larger and stronger yes. Fast... hmm... not necessarily and tough, no that's a very individual trait and I don't think either gender is generally tougher than the other naturally.

• www.sciencevsfeminism.com/.../ - For speed: 'In terms of anaerobic power, men have over 45% higher vertical leap and over 25% faster sprint times.'

For toughness: '[Men have] 60% more total lean muscle mass than women.' 'Muscles are ‘organic armour’ reinforcing the integrity of the body frame: the body frame of males is substantially more robust and resilient than the female body frame.'

Source of studies can be found in the link.

• Well one thing I do know well, anecdotally, is the mental and physical strength my testosterone surges give me, drives me to go to the gym and do an insane amount of exercise. The T makes me happy, angry and just overall very powerful. Healthy males have 12 to 17 times the testosterone healthy females do. Would have to do more research on specific mental effects to create a proper argument though.

• That is very true but isn't it also true that women can have surges in testosterone too? Obviously it would be far less but I suppose it must effect women differently. Again, I'm not saying it's going to somehow magically make women stronger or something. I have no idea how it would effect either with regards to mental strength. There are so many aspects to the idea of "toughness", some people do not deal well under pressure despite physical strength or hormone surges.

• option A is a fact

• yes to all except faster... :)

• Really now? www.sciencevsfeminism.com/.../ - 'In terms of anaerobic power, men have over 45% higher vertical leap and over 25% faster sprint times.' Source of studies can be found in the link.

• As I said to someone else. To see what other people think and hopefully dispel ignorance with science. I was just baffled to think some argued against the obvious (strength and size) so I wanted to see what people would think of all the above traits.

Also, I'm definitely willing to accept what others think, as long as they have evidence to back up their claims as I do. Just because you feel something is true, doesn't mean the facts change.

• world record for 100 meter sprints
      men-
      Jamaica Usain Bolt 9.58 (2009)
      women-
      Florence Griffith 10.49 (1988)

• We can't deny the facts.

What Guys Said 8

• Yep yep yep

• Yes because of the hormone difference

• Of course we are.

• I had the same reaction, but some feminists seem adamant at admitting inferiority in any way.

• I was talking about biology and our role. There weren't feminists 10000 years ago and we made it this far...

• The /s means I was being sarcastic.

• I think you could just look at the world records and decide this for yourself.

But I guess that wouldn't be average, would it. In general, males have greater upper body strength, top running speed, and overall fitness levels. Makes sense, when you consider the divergent evolutionary biology of the genders.

But the most exceptional females can still kick ass over the AVERAGE male in these matters.

• In America the males are smaller than the females. In the rest of the world, things are normal.

• Is that a joke?

• Just a joke mate. I think not many will contest that males are bigger and stronger. It is like that through out the animal Kingdom. Except for spiders.

• Sorry, with all the shit I've seen people say whenever it's related to gender differences I'm too confused to take a joke.

• We don't have the same physical performance crack a women and she is done

• The answer is obvious.

Bacon is still delicious.

• but pussy power will dominate

• To the majority of men yes.