Do you believe we live in a dream?

Dream Argument:

While people dream, they usually do not realize they are dreaming (if they do, it is called a lucid dream). This has led philosophers to wonder whether one could actually be dreaming constantly, instead of being in waking reality (or at least that one cannot be certain, at any given point in time, that one is not dreaming). In the West, this philosophical puzzle was referred to by Plato (Theaetetus 158b-d) and Aristotle (Metaphysics 1011a6). Having received serious attention in René Descartes' Meditations on First Philosophy, the dream argument has become one of the most prominent skeptical hypotheses which clearly has an archetype in elements of Plato's Allegory of the Cave also.

Do you believe we live in that theory or other similar theories?

• I am a strong believer.
  • I suspect it is true.
  • I suspect it is fake.
  • I am a strong denier.
Last sentence: Do you believe in that or other similar theories?

Most Helpful Guy

• "Do you believe we live in a dream?"

In short: In dream? No. Illusion? Yes.

In long: when I dream about pain (I fall, for example) I wake up immediately with a short moan. In "real" life I feel pain until it subsides, it doesn't disappear all the sudden like in case with waking up.

But I have read that our World (material, emotions/feelings, time especially) is an illusion.

When we die, we remember our previous selves, our higher self, we become whole again, so in some words we wake up from illusion :)

What Girls Said 3

• Who's dream are we living in?

Also! I don't know! Hmmm, this all could be a dream, and when we die, we wake up. Lol. I don't know!

Or our actions aren't really our choice of action, we could be like a sims game. Lol. :) this could get creative. Ahhhh.

• I must be having the worlds most boring dream if that's true lol.

• yeah we do.

What Guys Said 6

• not a dream, no. But possibly a computer simulation.
    Sounds absurd? well, the thing is... we REALLY want to figure how things developed...
    say an other specie wanted to do the same, and they have progressed... say 1 billion years further than us. Imagine the tech they'd have.
    And say they used that tech to simulate the big bang, and leave the simulation running for a loooooooong time to see how things develop?
    So we could theoretically be just an advanced computer simulation with intelligent AI.

• My god!!! Fight back against our machine overlords!!! You will not use me for energy, you oversized can openers!!!

• No, that is too skeptical, which is the conclusion that all Descartes, Plato, and Aristotle came to.

• Inception or what?

• Nah. We chose the words reality and dream to mean what everyone thinks they mean. So even it's not really possible for reality to be a dream, if you understand what I'm saying

• No I don't believe...