Why doesn't the united states adopt the nordic model?

In the nordic model everyone gets
- free healthcare
- paternity leave and long vactions
- free college

Most Helpful Guy

• It's because the USA is effectively an oligarchy, and using a nordic model spreads the power out to the people a lot more. People with power NEVER want to lessen that power, it is always about consolidating more of it. The two-party system will never let that power get dispersed to the people.

The information that is spread to support the current system has made people blind to the benefits of helping others. I'm not raising kids myself, but I sure as hell want to pay to fund schools because I don't want to live in a country full of uneducated people. It drags my standard of living way down, even if I don't benefit directly. And that's the same basic case with healthcare, paternity leave, post-secondary... those are all things that have real value to society, but if it doesn't affect a person directly, the American model tends to frame it as freeloading or taking their hard earned money or whatever. Which then creates a disenfranchised population. Which leads to crime. Which leads to the need for a huge prison population. Which then costs taxpayer money to take care of... so they end up paying anyway. And who has the highest incarceration rates in the world? ok... it's the Seychelles... but they have less than 100,000 people in the whole country... so who is number 2 in terms of highest incarceration rates in the world? The USA. And it's not even close when you look at the rate amongst major countries. Remove all the little Caribbean islands and you see a very stark picture. That is a broken system, and it is something so ingrained in the culture that they will never be able to just turn that around without major upheaval.

So the United States doesn't adopt the nordic model because it can't. It is too broken to adopt it without ripping up the entire system. And there is way too much money invested in maintaining the status quo in the USA. The oligarchs will not give up power without a fight. And they happen to own the biggest guns.

What Girls Said 6

• I dont think usa would adapt because of racial tensions, growing poverty gaps and usa is too way larger than small like the scandanavian countries in landmass a d population density. If usa splits into several independent nations in future, it could manage and adapt like small Nordic countries.

• I don't know. I wish it was like start trek where it's a totally communist society and no one works for money. They all just work for knowledge and to help other worlds. I think that's such a beautiful concept but unfortunately the world is too greedy and self centered

• I think the world economy would collapse in that scenario.

• I wish we lived in a world where race religion gender or sexual orientation matter but ughhhhhhh.

• I messed up, i meant whete all that stuff doesn't matter lol, im emarressed.

• That's a good question that I often think about as well.

I'm not sure if I give you a correct answer but I believe it's because here in the U. S. we are kind of greedy and the economy can not "flourish" without making money off of it's citizens. If they gave us free college, healthcare and paternity leave the government wouldn't make as much money off of us.

• Because it's widely known that the US dislikes communism, and all those policies lean towards it.

• I don't know but we need to.

• i wish they did.

What Guys Said 17

• America is behind in a lot of ways. We are one of only 5 countries in the world without paid maternity leave (let alone paternity leave). Our president has just proposed free two year admission at community colleges. And about two years ago we finally got a universal healthcare initiative.

the biggest reason why America doesn't do these things in my opinion is the belief that those things you mentioned are essentially (and they are) forms of socialism which is almost a bad word in America (despite having social security, welfare, medicare and Medicaid, relief aid, etc which are all socialist programs).

hopefully we'll come along to the realization that as societies grow some socialized programs run by the government are essential

• All those things get paid for through high taxation.

Americans like having freedom of choice instead of government control.

We are a carry your own weight society, but there are safety nets for those who fall on hard times.

Also what may work for a small country of a few million, would probably not in a country of over 300 million.

• I have to admit, i do like the ideo of carry you own weight but have a few social nets for people who need it,

• thye just don't want maybe?

• I don't know but there's a lot more people in the U. S. than in Scandinavia and chances of abusing the system are higher...

• because the us is all about that moneeeyy greedy government..

• Because derp derp communism! Derp derp socialism! DERP DERP!

• They pay a LOT of taxes (55% personal and 78% corporate), they have a homogeneous population, there is not a free immigration to norway

• But i thought the economy suffers if people have to pay high taxes.

• Your right, even china which was communist has accepted capitalism and has a grown a lot huh.

• The Scandinavian countries have some good things but the socialist system they have integrated into their systems doesn't work well. They will muddle through...

• Money, mostly. This model wouldn't work with such a large population. Also the Scandinavians all have a similar attitude, work ethic and mentality. The US is large and has many differing states that hold different laws and different types of people.

• Actually it would work but the US spends around 2-3x what those countries do in military. We have a strong militant ideology.

• It's true you spend unnecessary amounts on defense when that money could go into jobs. But the real problem is you are a nation driven by money, insurance and pharmaceutical companies own the system, and that's why free healthcare wouldn't pass,

• Its always about money no matter what we do here

• the few in power don`t want to relinquish that power

• It's complicated, economics is almost as complicated as law.

You should read a book called a conflict of visions, then the basics of economics, and

• The vision of the anointed by Thomas sowell, that would pretty much sum up my outlook on it.

• because nothing is free, how much do you guys pay in taxes

• If you're a US tax payer all you really get is a military and roads

• Really I think you mean just military. Our roads are crap.

• because the US is a profit/capitalism based country.

• It has made us into the richest country in the world but it has also made us one ofthe most unequal in the world.

• that's the way it goes in a capitalist country. Not much you can do.

• Because that is not conducive to what Americans view as capitalism.

• because they are right wing... and don't want to influence 'socialism'

• You use the word "free" a lot. I don't think it means what you think it means.

• Yeah i know it just means everyone just pays taxes for it.

• 45% taxes, few choices in the "free" health care, little job mobility, and it stops working when you have a heterogeneous society, as Sweden is discovering.