At what age do you think "kids will be kids", is no longer a valid excuse for bad behavior?

Everytime I mention that I was bullied in middle school, I get a boat load of different comments.
One of them being "kids will be kids" and when people say that it really makes me mad, because it feels like they're trying give them a free pass for what they did. I was 11 or 12 when entered the sixth grade and I was 14 when I graduated from the eighth grade, I was always a year older then everyone because I was held a back a year in kindergarden and had to do it again. which means, that they were also pre-teens / teens like me and definitely old enough to know what they were doing. So, at that point they were no longer kids and every act they did was deliberate and not out of bratiness. I had a lot of "kids being kids" moments when I was kid and none of that effected me or my outlook on myself, but middle school did and it was not just kids being kids.

It's not just bullying per say, I feel people use things as excuses to condone a persons bad behavior and I think that's wrong. That's how so many people get away with things they shouldn't, because no one is willing to hold them accountable for their actions. Therefore, no valuable lessons can be learned.

So, when do you think "kids will be kids", is no longer a good enough excuse?

Most Helpful Guy

• 21

Why? Because kids mature at different ages. Teenagers are susceptible to peer pressure everyday. Even adults. Look at social media. I chose twenty one because that's the legal drinking age in the United States. And if u can drink a beer then u should be able to tell right from wrong.

What Guys Said 5

• im younger than most... i think its not an excuse until well no specific age but there's that one point in someone's life where they just realize in their head what's actually going on... not like anyone else ever knows that but anyway at that point they can't be considered kids no matter how young or old they may be

• I'd say mid teens 15-16 around there.

• 13 is when puberty begins so I say 13.

• 7 years old is enough to comprehend good and evil.

• About... never. Humans are dumb all their lives.

What Girls Said 11

• I feel like 10-ish. They understand consequences and they're just about to hit the evil that fills all children around 5th and 6th grade. They know exactly what they're doing and the sooner they have to face the consequences for their behavior, the better.

• Honestly? Fourth grade. And even that's a stretch. I'm a firm believer that kids should be held accountable for their shitty behavior no matter the age.

Younger than fourth grade, and the parents should be held accountable as well.

• round 16. people at that age just gotta start growing up and realising adulthood isn't far away.

• Yeah, once you hit double digits that excuse becomes null and void. Really by like 7-8. At that age kids are aware of the difference between right and wrong.

• Some children understand right and wrong from an early age and then there are adults who never get it. By the time a child is seven or eight they ought to know how to be a fairly decent person.

• It sounds like your experience in school was very similar to mine. When kids being kids becomes irrelevant is beyond me. It seems some never stop.

• It's never a good excuse. If we don't teach kids accountability for their actions from the beginning, most of them will grow up with a sense of entitlement.

• I don't think its ever acceptable because the kid needs to learn right from wrong. If you don't make it into a big deal and tell them that that behavior is unacceptable then they might think its okay to act that way and continue to do so.

• When they're 14.

• ts1.mm.bing.net/th nuff said

• My son knows right from wrong and he's only 4. I don't think the "kids will be kids" excuse should be used.