Have you ever run away? If so, please answer this simple question?

I'm wondering if your parents/guardians ever sent you to your room for punishment, or put you in timeout?

I used to get sent to my room as punishment, where I would had to think things out. Later on in my teens, I would run away to avoid going to my room, but always leave a note saying I would come back in a few days, after I had calmed down.

Today I avoid any conflict by removing myself from the situatian, and I'm wondering if it is because that's what I have been taught? What do you think? Could there be a connection between this type of punishment, and running away?

Most Helpful Girl

• i do the same thing. in relationships, arguments, people annoying me.. pretty much any kind of conflict i always leave and then come back after i have thought about it. it has ruined so many relationships lol. i have never thought about this. i like this question lol

• But did you get punished as a child, in such a way that you can relate to the way you deal with problems now?

• Yeah I used to run away a lot. Whether it was for a couple hours or a few days. I think I got it from my mom. Whenever her and my dad would fight she would leave and come back a day or two later. I think being sent to my room to think about whatever definitely played a role in how I think about things today.. the leaving part I'd say is more from my mom maybe but yeah I definitely see what you are saying

What Guys Said 4

• thankfully never happened in my case. my parents were ok wid me most of times

(and no my childhood wasn't "happy"... )

• When I was six. I got about two hundred yards before my big sister caught up with me and dragged me home.

• As a kid, it simply taught you to inform your parents before you ran away so as not to worry them. How you behave today is simply an accumulation of what you learned from them, school and society in general.

• I ran away when a kid, it wasn't good! But i was never lucky enough to get a time out.

What Girls Said 3

• Mhmm, ya, sure.
    I was er, 10 and my mom took away my phone so me and my twin brother retaliated by running a few yards from our house to the golf course.
    I packed 2 ham sandwiches and the house phone. Stupidly did I not know, the house phone only works in our house haha.
    We lasted about 20 minutes. The cause? My brother had to pee and was too embarrassed to do it in front of neighbors.
    lol...

• Well, it just has to do with you responding certain way to these situations.
    In my case I know that I would never run away. Because running just isn't my style :P
    But you are different, and you probably like freedom and peace, so when things got rough you would solve it by running and leaving situation.
    Don't think too much into it though, we are all different and respond differently to some things, which is normal!

• It says to me you are still running away. Perhaps a more productive coping mechanism could be found?

• I don't run away, but I will leave the room if I feel like a discussion or fight isn't going anywhere, then come back some hours later.

• I imagine running away is when you end up being worried if the person is ok, and maybe having to call the police? I might call what I do a timeout, as it gives me time to think. Whilst running away for me used to be connected with being very, very angry, and feeling the world worked against me. I'd say I haven't ran away since I was 17, but have put myself in timeout multiple times.

• Running away is essentially removing yourself from a situation you can't cope or don't want to cope with. That's why I say it's the same basic principle.