Why are black men in America stereotyped as being lazy?

Why are black men in America stereotyped as being lazy?
In the 1930's this actor known as Stepin Fetchit managed to become a millionare in America by portraying a lazy black man. It seems to still have some power today.

0|0
4|12

Most Helpful Guy

• Many of them don't take work seriously. Little effort and desire for excellence.

1|3
    2|2
    • You can down vote but it is more often true than not, whcih is why they struggle and then we have to make special exceptions so they can get ahead even though they didn't earn it.

What Girls Said 4

• It's because people like to vilify being poor. They want to say you have some sort of moral failing as a person and that's why you're poor. What they like to forget is Black people are systematically discriminated against.

Black men make 75 cents to a white mans dollar and black women make only 64 cents despite being the demographic with the most college graduates by percentage. It seems like it might be difficult to make ends meet if you're missing 25% of your paycheck

1|2
    1|1
  • Stereotypes,

There are plenty of men of every ethnic group who are lazy turds and want to mooch off of family and friends.

Sadly there is some truth to every stereotype.

I just don't like people who complain about the stereotype, then they become/live the life of what they hated (which is the negative stereotype)

0|0
    0|0
  • Why do you think they are?

0|0
    0|1
  • i wasn't aware that they were...

0|0
    0|1

What Guys Said 11

• It partially comes from the fact that a large portion of blacks are on welfare.

1|3
    0|1
  • Perhaps is the lifestyle they have? I don't know.
    Spanish people are also stereotyped as lazy... but I know for fact, that this is true xD

0|0
    0|1
  • huh really? i thought exactly da opposite!

0|0
    0|2
  • I hear a lot of stereotypes about black people but never heard about this one before.

0|0
    0|2
  • All people are lazy, lets not generalize anyone.

0|0
    0|1
  • And your point?

0|0
    0|0
  • Because of this racist cartoon from the 40s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sls5H4xVHys

0|0
    0|2
  • Oh America. Land of the free and stereotypes and race relations.

0|0
    0|1
  • Not lazy, just "last to get hired, first to get fired" College educated black men are less likely to receive call backs from jobs than white men with criminal records www.nationaljournal.com/.../african-americans-with-college-degrees-are-twice-as-likely-to-be-unemployed-as-other-graduates-20140527

0|0
    0|1
  • Racial and cultural stereotyping will always be around - Fading with each passing generation hopefully into a very small idea.

0|1
    0|1
  • Stereotypes are born of some truth.

1|1
    2|1