How can the energy crisis be solved?

The global economy is based on oil. Whether you believe our reliance on oil is poisoning our planet or not, the reserves of producible oil is dwindling.

How will we generate power to fuel our lives?

Most Helpful Guy

• The kneejerk reaction is "renewables," but the technology simply isn't there. It's inefficient, unreliable, produces energy at an inconsistent rate, takes up huge amounts of land, has detrimental environmental impacts that greens choose to ignore, and is expensive to the point that it cannot survive in a free market without being pumped up by government. If it actually worked, it would be economical and wouldn't need government help.

I'm a proponent of nuclear energy, myself, but I would hope to see further development of liquid fluoride thorium reactors. They're cleaner, safer, and unlike conventional reactors, their byproducts cannot be used as fissile material for the production of nuclear bombs.

• I've always liked fuel cells but they're still quite a ways off in terms of development.

What Guys Said 12

• The cheapest alternative currently is nuclear power. Wind, solar, geothermal, bio fuel, hydro power are all more expensive, and not all are available in all parts of the world, but we have been getting better at tapping into these resources. Eventually they may be more realistic options in the future. I imagine a mixture of different solutions will be what replaces fossil fuels.

• Yeah it is poisoning the planet. There are two primary main sectors that is fuel/energy hungry.. Transportation and (electricity) power generation. It is the transportation sector that that needs oil to run. Coal is still the primary fuel for power generation.

For power generation. I think the solution is pretty much mix use all of the available renewable green energy generation (Whichever is available to specific country), because there is no perfect energy source; all have pros and cons.. But that's an expensive infrastructure program but it's worth it. Definitely for small countries especially, like Costa Rica which is the first country to run on green energy for a long period... For the long term I think a nuclear fusion reaction ( like the sun) is probably the best source. It is cleaner, more efficient, produces a lot more than the current fission nuclear reaction.. It uses hydrogen as a fuel and that is abundant.. Very abundant but the problem it's still being developed for years and years now and still won't come for more further years..

For the transportation.. It is more hard to tackle because many vehicles need an engine and fuel that can sustain long travels.. Except if you're in a city. My lecturer said that there was a study that many city dweller's cars do not actually require very long mileage... So an electric car is suitable for them, especially in European cities. To power them, I think hydrogen fuel cells is good enough at least. Hopefully the new introduction of Toyota Mirai in the market can be great breakthrough.

• I love fuel cells as an up and coming solution.

• I think hydrogen is the way to go. It's more efficient than solar and wind plus environmental factors aren't an issue

• I like fuel cells too.

• @hypno-trip My undergrad is chemical engineering. My masters is environmental engineering.

• Very cool... I'm always inspired by other peoples' ambitions...

• Blend up the old people! We can run our cars on lifetimes of precious memories! (Not all old people, just the ones who no-one'll vouch for)

• (Sorry, I heard that on the radio like five minutes before I stumbled across this... and I fell out laughing)

• How come we haven't worked out hydrogen fuel cells yet? Wasn't that going to be a thing like ten years ago?

• I plan to work in renewable energies research for the government so hopefully I can do something towards helping the problem. The type of energy research I want to work on will at least wean us off of oil in the long term I think...

• I see the nuclear energy is better, and the oil sooner or later it will be gone

• Get on that power bike and start peddling.

In all honesty though, we'll figure something out. We already have, albeit not as effective, alternative methods being developed and/or used today. Who knows, something may pop up to help us figure it out.

• Drop bombs on the middle east

• it won't be solved, we will only find something better when the oil is gone

• Im sure by the time oil runs out, we will be more dependable on renewable energy

• Such as? Not all options are viable in all regions.

• You would have to ask an environmental engineer that. Of course certain types of renewable resourses can't be used at all locations, but there's is always at least one that can be used in the area

• Haha, I am one. I like knowing what other people think will take off though.

• Move to electric. Electric cars don't suffer the problems gas cars do.

• There's still the issue of generating the power for the vehicles to store.

• Wind energy is a good place to start. We can go old school and have river currents turning wheels to generate power.

• Hydro power is pretty popular here.

• Mineable fossil fuel supplies are unlimited. This will not be a problem in the foreseeable future.

• That's not strictly true. It depends on how economic the venture is.

• You said put ecological concerns aside to answer the question... I did. There will be no other viable option in your lifetime.

• No I didn't. A lot of conservatives refuse to believe in climate change and how humans have contributed to it.

What Girls Said 2

• If we all just took action it could make a hue impact. We probably couldn't make a solar plant large enough to power the whole country. But we could give each hose solar panels.
    If our outlets had on and off switched that would help a lot.
    A lot of it is making each house use things to make it's own energy.

• True. Solar isn't the best option in many regions (ie where there is snow).

• Did you know your more likely to burn your Retna in a snowy area than on the beach. There is still light bouncing around. And even if not it's still way better than having people be 100% reliant on fossil fuels

• I'm talking about the physical coverage of snow on a roof but ok.

• Using garbage...

• Emissions are very bad from waste-to-energy systems currently but it is becoming more popular.

• Well thats dumb considering the damage thats already done -_-

• I know, right?