Does holding hands make us stronger?

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for reading/answer.

Here's the thing. Recently I've found out that the mere act of holding hands (not talking only romantically) can make us psychologically stronger. I can't figure out if this is true or not, or why this happens. But for example, a few years ago I had an accident at school and cut my thumb open, pratically sliced in two. I went to the Hospital and they had to desinfect it by throwing this burning liquid right into the muscle (there was barely any skin left).
It was the most intense pain I ever felt, but for some reason, because I was holding my father's hand as this happened, the pain seems fake, far away, unreal, both in my memories and when that happened.

Another example is dentistry. I'm TERRIFIED of dentists, even the thought of the needle freezes me and sometimes I can't even be numbed up and they have to cancel the treatment or proceed without it (if it's not strictly necessary). But if I'm holding someone's hand while I'm being injected things get better. Once again the pain is far away, unreal. I'm feeling it, but at the same time it's like it's not really there.
From experience, I think it works with emotional stuff too (although when the person leaves, unlike accute physical pain, you're still struggling).

Is this actually a thing that exists? If so, is there any explanation? Or is this more of a placebo thing going on?

Most Helpful Guy

• just holdin hands doesn't mean a lot actually...

• This was really a more physiological/psychological thing, wasn't really talk about romance.

What Girls Said 2

• yea I believe human contact makes us stronger.

• its a placebo effect.

What Guys Said 2

• No It makes your hands feel sweater.

• I think you are feeling the love from your girl.

When your girl likes as much as you like her you feel on top of the world.
    By holding your hand she made you feel amazing!

Fair play to you kid!