Muslims :do u know what's the difference between the word god and the word Allah?

Coz I met 10 people in the mosque today and they didn't know the difference non Muslims can answer too of they knew it

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes I do know the difference, God means "اله" or "illah" which means anything that is being worshipped ( fake or not) so if the sun is being worshipped then it's a god, however the word "Allah" or "الله" ha two part,
    1. Al " ال" which means "the"
    2. Illah "اله" which means "God"

So from a language point of view, Allah means "the God" ... However the definition of Allah is "the one and only God who deserves to be worshipped".

If you open a Arabic dictionary you will see that it's written like "المعبود بحق دون سواه" ... So when we Muslims say la illah illa Allah (there's no God but Allah" we actually mean "there's nothing worth to be worshipped except Allah" and again if you read any of these books you will realize that the meaning of "لا اله الا الله" is described as "لا معبود بحق سوى الله"

So there can be 100000000 gods but there's only one true God who deserves to be worshipped and we Muslims believe that he is "Allah".

by the way Allah is also the God of the bible, that the Christians usually refer to as "the father" and if you read the Arabic version of bible, you will see the "word" Allah in many many locations including the first verse "in the beginning was the word... Etc" it's written in Arabic like that " في البدء كان الكلم والكلم كان الله" and it's pronounced as "fe Al-badé kan al-Kalim wal Kalim can ALLAH" ... But of course a lot of our Christian brothers will deny that.

• Has two parts*

• Yazan I read the coolest thing ever did u know that when a camel walks in the morning it's called العير and of its walking in the night it's called العيس

• @omar5881 no I didn't know that before.

What Girls Said 6

• Nope. I just thought that's what muslims called god.

• Nope Arabian Christians and Arabian Jews call god Allah too, God can be the god of thunder the god of video games it's a name called for the master of the thing it doesn't have to be the creator but Allah means the only one creator who created us and this word can't be used in another thing so if i find Arabian Christian he calls god Allah too

• Ah I see. Cool

• The word "Allah" means God in Arabic.

• well yeah but there's a BIG difference between the two words see God can be the god of thunder the god of video games it's a name called for the master of the thing it doesn't have to be the creator but Allah means the only one creator who created us and this word can't be used in another thing so if i find Arabian Christian he calls god Allah too

• Looks like you just answered your own question. 😊

• Lol ik the difference I just see how many people know this lol

• God has 99 names in Islam, doesn't he?
    And I'm probably WAY off but a Muslim once told me it was because God is Dog spelt backwards, that's why they don't like saying God?

• The one who told u this is stupid and the 99 names of God these r his characteristics the difference between the two words is that :God can be the god of thunder the god of video games it's a name called for the master of the thing it doesn't have to be the creator but Allah means the only one creator who created us and this word can't be used in another thing so if i find Arabian Christian he calls god Allah too

• Ah, that makes a lot more sense. Thank you very much. If I have more questions, I'll let you know. :)

• Okie you are welcome :)

• I believe God is the more general word , it can refer to any God that's being worshiped. Regardless whether it's real or not , but Allah is the only creator of this universe and the only " true " God.

• God is plural, Allah is only one.

• lots of people dont know.

What Guys Said 6

• GOD is a term use for a supreme being.
    person who has omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence, creator of universe and controller.
    as far as i know about diffrence (which i guess a little)
    allah is the term used by muslims to address this same personality.
    but the term god is sometime is used in smaller context like.. acc to hindu and greeks there are god of light, god of air, god of fire, etc.
    and also sometimes we too use term god for a person who is assumed to be best in some field. like god of cricket (sachin tendulkar), and a thing like god particle.

• God can be the god of thunder the god of video games it's a name called for the master of the thing it doesn't have to be the creator but Allah means the only one creator who created us and this word can't be used in another thing so if i find Arabian Christian he calls god Allah too

• Didn't *

• its okie lol

• allah = god

no?

• Yes I am not Muslim and know that God and Allah are the same thing there are many ways you could say God in Arabic.

• Yes and no Wallah is another way of saying God and it means the same thing

• Wallah is used for swearing!

• 'Allah' is "THE God," as opposed to a finite deity from a polytheistic religion.

• they made god seem like a violent fool. Calling a god "allah" makes sense to not give the word god a bad name.

Uh Oh...

• Allah is god in Arabic. Christians who are Arabic praise "Allah" it's just the language

• Obviously though Allah only refers to the god worshipped by Christians, Muslims, and Jews. It does no refer to the god of Hinduism or Greek folklore

• Mostly yes but in Arabic god differs from Allah