If you have a friend who has a strong belief in psychics?

if your friend strongly believes in psychics or fortune tellers, so, he/she always checkes fortune teling apps every morning, [the app gives your lucky colour, number, and who you should avoid to meet, what kind of food you need to eat today.. etc], would you be okay?

for instance, she cancels up on your plan together on the date of plan because the app said something like "avoid to meet more than two girl friends today.."

Would you be okay with that? would you understand her or try to convince her not to belive this kind of stuffs?
how would you react?

Most Helpful Guy

• Funny you should ask, mei.

I have one or two friends who believe or at least think there might be some truth to psychic powers and other paranormal stuff. I asked several questions with polls here in GAG about psychic/paranormal things. In all but two cases, females tended to believe in them more than males. Males tended to believe more in UFOs and cryptozoology.

I read an article in Scientific American years ago about this. The poll they conducted showed that women tend to believe more in paranormal phenomena than men, with the exception of UFOs and cryptozoology. In some areas, the differences were substantial. Women were much more likely to believe in astrology than men.

The late astronomer and popular science writer Carl Sagan wrote about this in his book Demon Haunted World (GREAT book, by the way). He believed, and I kind of agree with him, that the reason why females seem more likely to believe in paranormal phenomena was because our society tends to demand less of them in terms of critical thinking. Society tends to consider girls less logical.

I have noticed that science is BY FAR the most popular subject in my class, by both girls and boys. I have also noticed that girls perform BETTER in math than boys. Yet some time around 8th grade, the situation changes.

As someone who works in the sciences, I'd be curious to hear your input on that, mei. Why do you think around 8th grade, girls start to become less interested in science?

There's a guy named James Randi who goes around debunking all kinds of psychic phenomena. It's funny because he looks kind of like Gandalf or Santa Claus. He was a stage magician, so he can duplicate a lot of so-called psychic phenomena. Here's one of his documentaries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MFAvH8m8aI

Most Helpful Girl

• Well I believe in psychics and I check my horoscope app everyday but I doubt an app would be that specific about avoiding meeting more than two gfs today lol. I wouldn't try to convince her it probably won't work. That stuff should not be taken literally and it's unhealthy to rely on someone or an app to tell your future minute by minute because at the end of the day we create our future she should focus and on that and hat should be the way that you approach her about it. Tell her do some research. A real psychic will even tell you that.

• Do you read horoscope app for fun.. or do you think it is accurate?

• I read it for inspiration because it not really a fortune teller thing its more like advice and I think it resonates with me.

• Thanks for the MHO :)

What Guys Said 7

• The JREF (James Randi Educational Foundation) will give anyone $1,000,000 if they can prove that psychics or anything supernatural is true. So far nobody has one that prize and anyone whether in religion or any other superstitious realm can take him up on his offer. If psychics and faith healers and all that other BS are so confident in their skills then that should be an easy $1,000,000 then haha

• Oh my goodness... I would be flabbergasted.
    Best thing I could think about doing is asking her how she started believing that an app could know what was going to happen next. Really increadible :-(

• If she was crazy into it, I would not have time to have a 3rd person in my relationship period. If the psychics is poor then she is just taking girls money.

• That seems to be taken it too far

• To be honest with you if I had a friend like that I would strongly insist on him/her to seek a Psychiatrist.

• What physics have to do with fortune telling

• It's "psychics" not "physics"

• Ahhh @YazanAA thank u sorry it 7:30 am and I didn't sleep
      Asker it wouldn't be okay with me Coz I find those things r stupid and non sense

• :) thank you for your comment

• I would try to convince her/him that they shouldn't put so much stock in psychics once just as a friend. After that, if they still want to believe then who am I to stop them from making those decision about their life.

What Girls Said 3

• Well.. some people believe in them because they make them feel better about themselves, but your friend is taking it to a new level, treating it like a religion.

I would not care to expose them, but I think the friendship will gradually end and she'd become more of an acquaintance.

• That's ridiculous. It's okay to look at them for fun but there's no point in letting them control your life. Tell her to break the habit.

• not that i know of