Why is everyone on here such a grammar nazi?

i mean, it's the internet. you don't have to be all formal and official. if you want to be mindful of grammar that's up to you but why be a dick to someone who can't be bothered?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't really care, but if I can't decipher what the hell you're writing then it's an issue. Things like minor typos and some slang is okay. But I do appreciate people who take the effort to write properly even on the internet. I feel that I can take them more seriously.

Most Helpful Guy

• It just looks stupid to me. I get it, its the internet, but some people get bothered by it, some don't.

What Girls Said 4

• Because I like to preserve our language. It is slowly becoming less and less of a language and it is terribly sad. Also, if you are on the internet and you seem like an idiot (not typing properly) you should know by now people are going to point it out... so speak properly or get over it.

• Meh so many people on here use mobile that they're not too shook up about it. Just put in the effort to be understood and people put in the effort to understand.

• I'm not really a grammar nazi. But, I correct people in my head sometimes.

• Why ignore grammar?

• Who has the time?

Why pay attention to it so much online?

What Guys Said 13

• correct, even though i prefr callin it "sentence structure" :p

many people judge "textin language"... ugh :(

• It just grates with some people - Come on there must be something that annoys you when you are scrolling through questions - We all have pet peeves.

• I*mean, it's the internet. You* don't have to be all formal and official. If* you want to be mindful of grammar, that's up to you but why be a dick to someone who can't be bothered?

• Sometimes it's harder to understand people without proper grammar

• If i can't easily read what they are typing or if they have terrible spelling than i will tell them. Also, if you need to swear in everything you say you are seriously lacking in your English and communication skills.

• Bad grammar happens and we are all guilty of it from time to time. What gets me is when it is so blatantly bad that it can't be understood at all.

• Yea, I agree with this

• Learn English and grammar police will haunt thee nomore.

• English is my first language and I can be eloquent when I want to be but I just don't see the need to online.

• I don't prefer it.
      What I mean is, people should be able to type however they like and they shouldn't have to fear being criticised or judged for doing so.

• Mhm and what kind of respect would that person be showing to their fellow earthlings? If you make no effort to make yourself comprehendable then I shall not even begin to Try to understand you, but immediately move on to the phase where you shall be subject to very heavy And constructive criticism for acting a damn fool.

• It's one of those argument winners. Losing an argument? An asterix and a word brings you back in.

• I've noticed that some people resort to this but I don't understand.
      To me, they've still lost the argument but are now desperate to win.

• Because it's the first impression you are giving people. If I can't read it without wincing, then I'm not going to bother reading it at all.

• I is speaking gud beescause it make much deference in ways that peebles see what meen you say them

• That is called being illiterate. Different from what I'm talking about

• I no stand-under what means that?

• Wot gramar m8? I couldn't resist trolling grammar nazis

• Apparently you can be bothered seeing that you asked this question.

• Because sometimes it can be heard to read and understand. For example if they meant "they're" and they're writing "there", it's going to be confusing