Is greece a very racist place? I wanted to visit there but I was told there's a lot of racial crimes and they are very racist?

pls provide how you landed on your answer. or dont answer at all for there's too many people who open there mouths without knowing

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, I happen to be Greek :-). I grew up in Switzerland but my dad is Greek and I have a double-citizenship and of course I still got much of the culture and mentality through my dad.
    So, having said this... I would first of all like to say that as a tourist, you will most likely not get to experience any racism. It is true that some people in Greece are extremely racist (mainly the members of the neo-fascist party Chrysi Avgi) but then again, you have this everywhere. You've got UKIP in England, some weird pseudo-Nazis in the US, Geert Wilders in the Netherlands and tons of right extremists all over east Europe and Russia. The difference to Greece is that, as you said yourself, people in Greece are struggling very much. I have relatives there myself and to somebody who doesn't live there, it's almost impossible to even imagine what it's really like. My aunt and uncle work like crazy and yet they sometimes have so little money they can't even buy enough food for the family. My dad sends them some money every month but it's still a big struggle. It's absolutely unworthy of a European first-world country. Now, having said this, I should also say that even though racism exists in Greece, it is definitely no mainstream phenomenon. What I mean by that is that most Greek people are not racist. In fact, most of them like foreigners. The problem with countries in big financial crises is that they are generally in danger of political or religious extremism. There is also left-wing extremism in Greece. The difference is that left extremists only attack buildings but not human beings (except from the police). Also, if you're American, you will definitely not notice any racism in Greece. The neo-fascists are mostly pissed at people from the middle east and north Africa because they believe that these people are coming to Greece to steal Greek people's jobs.
    I travel to Greece more or less regularly and I haven't encountered racist people so far. It also depends a lot on where you go to. Athens is probably the place where you'd be mostly likely to experience it. If you go on one of the islands, you're in the middle of the tourist area, so there's no racism at all. And if you travel through the countryside you will also notice that people there are actually incredibly sweet and hospitable. They invite strangers for a cup of coffee to their homes and stuff like that. Something that would never happen in western Europe or the US.

What Girls Said 1

• If you are a tourist they will treat you well because you bring money into their country. I don't know anything about greeks being racist but I am not familiar with the current culture of greece - I only know about ancient greece. I visited greece a couple of years ago.

• i m not sure if the residence care about that. country has gone to shit economically and people are stressed the f out id expect.

What Guys Said 3

• maybe some of em r racists... but racists exist anywhere so...

• this answer is way to cliche. i mean, roughly 60 percent of all prisoners in america are black. america has more prisoners than the prisoners of the whole world combined. you're way more likely get robbed in a poor black area than a poor white area. there's good in the black race but the probability of having a bad experience with blacks are way higher. in the same way, sometimes somethings are just way higher and you can do the math.

• It's not particularly pleasant, but then I hate Greece so I'm not the best source of intel.

• Most of Europe , outside of the UK, is very racist.

• really UK isn't racist? id think its one of the most. my explanation is that all the countries whos tried to take over the workd like japan, germany and UK (britain) have this pride which often is coupled with racism/discrimination

• And, just about every empire has indulged in conquer.

• ok good to know!