Would you work or have you ever worked in a call center?

I worked in one back a couple years ago and it was hell on earth. Its literally customers screaming at you all day and managers yellig you to make your time short as possible and push selling. Call centers usually pay good money but there's usually a lot of shady backgrounds there since most are high turn over and will basically hire anyone. The training more often than not is pretty shitty. Plus some call centers especailly the one I worked at had a lot of drug addicts especially pillheads

Most Helpful Guy

• I did debt collection at one of those and it was such bullshit. I can't force people to pay a bill that they obviously are not going to pay. They hours were ridiculous with having to be in at 3am to call people on the east coast. All in all I quit after the second week.

• Was it for a credit card company?

• Shiiiiit we never got bonuses. At least I never saw anyone get one.

• Ours was top 30% and perfect attendance

What Girls Said 4

• I worked for sprint for two summers. The first summer was fine. I had good supervisors and even though I worked in billing it was easy to understand.

The second summer was hell. They were constantly changing the rules and griped about transfer rates so we had to ask every time so we ended up trying to do things we weren't trained for. It was horrible. They ended up closing the center before I came home for the next summer.

• You blew up the call center... That's epic 😀

• Yay sprint...

• That freaking sucks.

• I have. It was okay except I worked at a really busy time with a new setup company and I literally talked all day long everyday until I lost my voice.

• What did yours handle

• It was with direct tv but it was when they first got international channels so I worked for the international department and there were all kinds of problems. They weren't prepared at all!

• wow. As I said mine was Bank of America

• I've worked 3 call center jobs :(

• Seems boring.

What Guys Said 4

• Yes, I have worked in a call center for some time. And yes, it was indeed pretty bad. Though I have to say we were at least not selling anything (I wouldn't work in those kind of call centers). We had to call people in order to ask them to participate in surveys, mostly market research. But I too had to deal with an incredible amount of incredibly mean "clients". I mean, being grumpy to a call center guy is one thing but sometimes I called people and I literally got to say "Hello, my name is xxx, I'm calling from xxx and wanted to ask you to participate in a research about---" by which time they would yell the worst of swear words at me, tell me to die and these kind of things and then hang up without me being able to say another word. It was especially hard because I wasn't given any sort of training whatsoever. They just told me to sit down there, listen to how other employees do it and then start working. So I was basically thrown in the ice cold water. When I learned how brutal the work environment is (mostly due to the people I had to call), I told myself to not take it personally. But after some months it still began eating on me. I am a very good and sensitive guy and it was really tough for me to learn how mean people can be. I started realizing that I was sometimes thinking about all the brutal things I had been called that day even during dinner with my family or before falling asleep. Some of these things almost broke my heart and made me cry. I didn't want to take it personally but I just couldn't filter it out anymore. It was too much I had to hear every day. Luckily for me it had only been a student job and I mostly did it for the experience. So, after half a year I walked up to my boss after work and said that I'm quitting. Soon after that, I could feel that my emotional state was becoming better again. It was an interesting experience but not one that I ever want to repeat.

• I personally don't mind surveys. They do not train you well at all

• Yeah... one of the things I learned in this job is always being very kind to people who call me from call centers. I do get annoyed about those calls too sometimes but because I've worked there myself, I know how hard the work is and how much bullshit you have to deal with. Sometimes, just one nice customer can make your day.

• Thats very true

• That is one thing I will not do. With my education and experience, I think I'm worth more than $9/hour to get yelled at all day.

• It was minimum wage where I worked

• Hmmm. The ones I was being recommended to look at paid 9. If you don't mind my asking, which one did you work at?

• It was for Bank of America but it was a 3rd party contract company called ACT

• I have and the customers weren't that bad. I have a thick skin and I become a nearly catatonic robot when I deal with the public. The managers were nonchalant and I was mostly ignored. The problem I had was with co-workers. They were obnoxious clowns that thought it was still high school.

• like how were they

• That seems more interesting than pretentious teens that aren't teens anymore.

• i had a lot of those too

• headache... ugh