I'm an American wanting to move to Europe . Which country you recommend?

These four countries interest me the most:

• France
  • Italy
  • Germany
  • Switzerland
  • "Screw Europe!"/ other...

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, I am from Switzerland so I guess I'm kinda biased :-). But I still wanna give you some impressions and tell you why Switzerland would be a good choice:
    Personally, I wouldn't move to Italy. Italy is a nice country to visit on vacation but it's not really a nice place to live at. Its politics really fucked up. So badly in fact, that many Europeans half-jokingly compare it to African countries. This has a lot of uncomfortable consequences: high unemployment, bad infrastructure, crime (the whole south of Italy is basically controlled by the Camorra (mafia). People speak very bad English in my experience. I know many Americans think of it as super romantic but I don't think anyone who lives there thinks that way. The food is awesome and so is the climate but that's not really enough in my opinion.
    France is already a much better choice. But personally, I wouldn't move to Paris. I think there are nicer places than that in France. People are very nice but they can be a little snotty at times and they hate talking in English . Unemployment and the bad job market are big problems, just like in Italy.
    Germany can be a very nice place to live at but there are some things I personally don't like about it. Education is not exactly high-class. German has become extremely Americanized since WWII. I guess this can be seen as a good thing. I find it sad because they are in the process of losing their own culture. I find it especially sad because a lot of the bad parts of American culture have been heavily adopted (fast food etc.). Germans tend to be extremely direct (for some people this is a problem). Depending on your job, you don't get a very good salary in Germany. Public transportation totally sucks (as in Italy).
    Now Switzerland... first of I would like to say that I'm not very patriotic and I am really not trying to make everything sound great. There are bad things about Switzerland too. These, however, are things I like a lot and that my foreign girlfriend got to love since she lives here:
    You have all the three cultures (Italian, German, French) in one single country. Plus a unique, Swiss culture. It's a small country, you can go literally anywhere within 0-3 hours. Nature is beautiful. The air and water are very clean. Things are extremely expensive (bad thing) but you also earn much more than anywhere else in the world (except from Norway). There's practically no crime. Swiss people are extremely accommodating in terms of language. Calm and peaceful ;-).

• Wow extremely eye opening answer. I think this deserves mho

• I can totally agree with everything you said. I live in Switzerland too and I wouldn't change it for anything. So many beautiful places to visit, the big cities, the lakes, nightlife, concerts, open air events... Summer is especially nice, everything is outside, bars, restaurants, people just chilling by a lake. Then in Winter you got the mountains, snow and winter sports.
      Public transport ist awesome, you can get anywhere by train or bus.
      Healthcare system and the quality of hospitals are very good. It is very safe, crime is very low.
      Of course not everything is perfect, but in my opinion the good stuff outweighs the bad.
      Yes it is expensive, but you also make more money and everything works basically. But if you are a smart spender you can actually get by with little money.

• @bomb78 @DeltaDanner thanks you guys for your input

What Girls Said 9

• I'd say Germany...
    Switzerland - not a great place for foreigners...
    Ironic, I know.

They're really jealous and biased towards strangers - hate them for 'taking their jobs' and 'polluting' their cities...
    I know this first hand.

• Switzerland is amazing, can be expensive but depends where you end up (and tbh that could apply to all of them). They speak fantastic English are all really friendly and is in easy reach of the rest of Europe if you want to travel. The climate is also bearable. Never been to Germany, but have been to France and Italy, they're great for holidays but like your MHO said other issues overrule their positives :)

• I use to live in germany, near Monchengladbach. The working hours are low and the pay is high. The unemployment rate is one of the lowest in Europe .
    Plus the food is great.

• If you have your heart set on France, you MUST know the language. It's possible to get by, but it will be HIGHLY difficult. Italy would be the best bet because it is not heavily dominated by one language.

• Thanks. So France and Germany seem better options than Italy though but thsnks again

• You MUST know the language everywhere in Europe . Nationalisms are often linguistic centered.
      As a tourist you'd be tolerated where you spend money. As a settler? No joking!

• Japan man.~

• Switzerland sounds like a good idea

• I'd say Spain :D

• lol ok thanks Clarisa :D

• I'm sorry can you carry this somewhere else please?

• But you dont want to be a Block Head like me though. lol Just Kidding

• Come to Australia. It is way better.

• I want somewhere with more culture and history though that's why I want to leave America haha. But I'll consider it thanks

• Lol all those people voting E

What Guys Said 14

• italy... pizza bro

• The Netherlands. We have weed and prostitutes (both legal). Also windmills, tulips and cheese. We eat kroket (ragout sausage), frikandel (meat leftovers sausage) en friet oorlog (war chips).

• It sounds like a good country as well I'll think about it...

• I would choose Italy due to culture, cuisine, climate and countryside.

But... beware of their justice system. You don't want to end up like Amanda Knox...

• ok that european man said Italy has bad political system though but otherwise i agree

• thank you interesting picture

• You're welcome. Good luck on your move, hope you like it "here" :)

• France, look for Dan Rock on YouTube, he's from Atlanta I thinks and he moved to France. You can ask him questions about how it is to live in France !

• I would live the hell out of Italy.

• Germany is a pretty great country, one of the few who actually has got their shit together, I'm not sure how great their skill in English is though, so you should consider learning the language.

• Italy because i love the culture.

• I like China for condos in about ten years, after we've cleared the bodies and deradiated it.

• In the U. K. you'll be able to speak with the people.

• I know but I'm trying to learn another European language.

• why not London?

• I want to try somewhere where English is not the main language...

• I think Sweden is worth a visit for sure

• Yes I would love to go there

• Switzerland or italy

• Move to Canada bro. The health care system is way way better

• I want somewhere with more culture that's why I'm thinking of Europe ...

• Canada is a multi cultural country dude; it has a vast variety of such...

• I guess. Thanks.

• The one whose language you understand or are willing to learn.

• German french and Italian culture all interest me...

• I want to learn but don't know which one to focus on

• I'll try all three for now and wait it out

• Try to be less of an American. Ie fuckup about the alamo.