Why can't I accept compliments? Can you relate to this or is it just me?

so people always compliment me on my hair and my moms friend even told her I was very pretty and even a guy said I wasn't ugly lol but I just don't see it? 😑 I consider myself average but not pretty even if other people think so. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Most Helpful Girl

• I know what you mean, I feel the exact same way. It's hard for me to accept compliments cause I mostly disagree with them. I think in my case it's because I've been called ugly and stuff a few times in my life, and that kinda stuff tends to stay with you forever. And I'm also fully aware of my flaws so until I'll be 100% ok with my looks, I won't be able to believe compliments.

• Ik! I feel the same way. I feel like I can't go anywhere if I don't feel 100% confident about how I look and then I can't tell if people compliment for being nice or if they are saying the truth 😪

• I KNOW RIGHT!! I often feel they're just being nice for the sake of being nice

What Guys Said 4

• Most people do. We've trained our brains to accepting that we perceive ourselves as ugly. Mostly due to brushing off compliments and telling ourselves that. My ex couldn't receive any of my compliments due to her thinking that she was too fat even when she was anorexic. You just gotta compliment yourself, if you hear it over and over you'll learn to accept it. You're your own worst enemy and your own best friend, just gotta determine which one you'd rather have.

• I am very much like that - I don't know why.

• your just stubborn, which can be a good thing. When someone says jump you won't as how high.

As well you know who you are and other people shouldn't the the ones to tell you who you are.

• Do u accept insults?

What Girls Said 4

• Some people don't like compliments because the feel embarrased. Just say thank you and evaluate afterwards. And finding yourself not extremely beautiful is your own self image. You have to work on that. Check the others comments and why they say that on your body. Usually others are right about it

• I mean I like compliments but I find it hard to believe them and ik! I need to work on that and I'll try thank u ☺️

• Nah. I would take the compliment.

I feel flattered when someone says nice things to me and appreciate that they take their time to let me know :)

• I mean I take it lol but I don't believe them lol and yeah it feels nice though ☺️

• Oh haha

And yeah.. I believe them :p

• To be honest, I think most people dint agree with the compliments they get, even if I dont agree I always say "thanks". But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've been called ugly by some but my others they have whistled at me, you may see yourself as average because you see yourself everyday.

• I feel that way.