GAGers: What do you think about the "War on Drugs"?

Do you think the drug war has had a good success rate? Do you think it's actually stopping drug usage? Or do you think it's a failure and that all it's done is send millions of people to prison for victimless crimes in order to generate revenue for the big corporations that run the prisons?

If you think the "War on Drugs" has been both helpful and successful (lol), please explain why.

• I think the "War on Drugs" is great and has been fulfilling its purpose.
  • I think the "War on Drugs" is nothing but a failure and/or a sham.
  • I don't know, show me the results.
Oh, I forgot to include this: I'm mainly speaking about the drug war WITHIN the US, not the international one.

Most Helpful Guy

• The war on drugs is all about money. Alcohol is legal, and tobacco was a founding cash crop of this nation and is still legal today. Most illegal controlled substances are so, because they supply and production can't have a USA stranglehold on it for proper taxation.

The war on drugs was also used as a tool, to keep my fellow black Americans socio-economically suppressed, after my people were gaining some real socio-economic traction by building up their own communities and having strong family units. Having crack cocaine possession be higher than actual cocaine itself is illogical and cannot be defended logically.

What Girls Said 2

• don't think it worked

• Its a lost cause

What Guys Said 4

• The war on drugs was about the biggest failure of the 20th century (and still going on unfortunately). It's not just all the people who have to go to jail, it's also all the money that politicians literally threw out the window. Every year, the US spends 51 billion dollars on the war of drugs. Just like that. 51 billions. Imagine what you could do with this money. You could for example distribute it equally and give every American 17,000 bucks per year. Wouldn't that be nicer than throwing it out of the window? Since 1970, the US alone (so, not the world, JUST the US) has spent an incredible 1,2 trillion dollars on the war of drugs.
    And yet, there are more drugs now than then, more crime, more misery.
    I believe all drugs should be legalized. Soft and hard ones. Everyone should decide for himself or herself what they wanna do.

• As a marijuana smoker in an illegal state, while watching all my good friends get busted and either heavily charged or jail time with a small amount of greens, I feel like the government is just keeping marijuana illegal in some states for the sole purpose of revenue in prisons. Nothing is wrong with marijuana and even our founding fathers grew and smoked it. They think marijuana is a gate-way drug and I would agree with them. Not for the purpose you think. It's a gateway drug because if you message your dealer asking for weed, he might tell you what else he has in stock and that would get you wondering. For example, an acid tab can go around for $5. If you don't have enough money for weed you'll just get an acid tab for cheaper. If we take marijuana off the streets and into dispensers it would eliminate having to deal with drug dealers and their scam to get you into other drugs.

• Failure and sham. Should be abolished and people be free to kill themselves as they please.

• I think it's a failure.