Why do some stores ask you to put a picture on your application letter?

I've seen it with both clothing stores as well as places where you just sell food. Like, I get it from the clothing store as they have a certain "image" to go with their clothing but even some restaurants? Like, do they judge you on your appearance in order to work there? Like you wouldn't get the job if you're not good-looking according to them or something?

Most Helpful Girl

• Omg I just thought about this! I got a holiday job at Sidestep (a store which sells sneakers and sportswear). When I applied there I was so "fake" hahah, I was wearing my sister's nike sneakers because I don't own any and clothes that make me look sporty.
    I think wanting their staff look sporty is understandable, it would look weird if I was was workig therer with ballerinas, a blouse and a cardigan! 😁
    But I don't think that it matters what you look like if you work at a food store.

• *working there

• Actually, we have all of these new Nutella-stores here in Amsterdam and on their website they literally ask you to "send up your resume INCLUDING A PICTURE". So I was just curious why they put the emphasis on it.

• Ah, I guess they just want to make sure you look "friendly" :)

What Guys Said 4

• A photo is just a tool for the interview - It helps the management visualise the applicant and also avoids impersonation

• Because they have a fucking racial quota.

• If you work in a store they don't want you to scare away the customers. The discrimination is on their customers (ie society in general), not on them.

• because stores don't want an ugly person working there

What Girls Said 3

• Because, even though they aren't supposed to they judge your suitability by your looks.

• Stores want good looking people to work for them

• That sounds fishy to me but that is only because in the USA... A&F got in trouble for discrimination lately and got sued. The stores want to keep their images to a certain par and want to avoid/hide them discriminating against a person for their looks to their face.

Personally I wouldn't apply their if that is how their business practices are. They seem to be very unethical. However I am not sure how things are done in what country you are in.

• I live in the Netherlands. I know that that type of discrimination happens here as well but it really depends on the neighbourhood/ people I think. It kinda makes my less excited to apply for jobs with me being black :s

• I am sorry that is rough. I wish you the best of luck.