Why is church so boring?

I believe in God and all but church is so freaking boring I can't take it!! I try to sleep but my grandma makes me stay up. I sometimes want to cry because of how boring it is.

Most Helpful Guy

• Like you I too believe in God and spirituality, however the reason church is so boring is for the same reason literary analysis is boring. I say this because you have a book (the bible) which has been written intentionally vague, so as to fit most situations and as if that is not bad enough has also been written in such a fashion that allows for interpretation. So with all of that, you get to listen to an "official" who has gone to school to discuss this book and what it might mean, and how to best discuss it with not one or a few but MANY people, all of which might have differing ideas about the same subject, and then you have to take all of this and make some sort of sense with it so, they can then "follow" your lead on the whole mess. AND, then there are a whole series of contradictions which can lead to all of the after church bible study groups (which consequently make things even more confusing and frustrating). This is why the whole subject is called theology and not science. Science is based on facts rather than belief. Now don't get me wrong I'm not knocking religion, I believe everybody should have something they believe it. However be sure you know what YOU believe and then stick to it. To be sure you may not always agree with everybody, but you will always know where you stand. Regrettably not everybody knows where they stand, which is why they go to church, this way they can either be "led" in their faith, or they may "find" their way. In the end it can be a great quest to answer all the questions we don't have answers to. The key is the answers lie in YOU, not from what somebody else has to say. No I don't believe this makes you GOD either, I just believe we all have to find our own path.

What Guys Said 11

• Well, Perhaps because you're not a Kid anymore? The Bible is basically just one massive Fairy Tale / bed time story, And, As you grow up, And gain more logic and Reasoning, It just becomes more and more retarded (I mean talking snakes and shit? please xD).

Basically, You have hit a point, Where you are not a kid that cannot be Indoctrinated anymore. ;)

• didn't u tell her u r old enough, so she shouldn;t drag u there? :/

• Do you understand, completely, what you are doing in church? Do you know the reasons for each prayer, ritual, etc? Which denomination do you belong to?

I'm thinking you don't know these, and that's why you find it boring. I could be wrong about you though.

• My church is anything but boring! We sing, shout and dance in our worship of God.

• It's because priests don't know how to properly read from the Bible to keep you awake, so I thought.
    Because speaking is a skill, you need to make it active. Learn how to speak to people, they need to be passionate about it...

I can read the bible at home, so I think 'what do you have to say?'

• Try going to a church with a predominantly African American congregation. Churches with an African American congregation are always upbeat and fun so definitely try it out.

• I agree. I have been to Spirit-filled Southern Black Baptist churches that are very charismatic, and are anything but boring. Worshiping God isn't supposed to be boring! Read about the way David worshiped God!

• Because they stopped teaching preaching Prophecy.

• Because Jesus is boring?

• Sounds like you need a new church. I love my church. The pastor and people are great!

• churches are fake, you can worship jesus in your home

• You're young and immature

What Girls Said 9

• You will get used to church if you stay long enough. As a young adult, I found church to be boring as well but now I don't find it boring at all. I love it. Your tastes change as time goes by.

• OMG YES! Like, I'd rather go to school on Sunday than sit in church all day. I especially hate the part where the preacher starts screaming the words to everybody and it takes forever._.

• I've yawned non stop for the last 3 years whenever I go.

Before it was maybe every 10 minutes.

• Because it's boring listening to someone preach to you. And that's literally all that you go to Church for. To have someone preach and push beliefs on you. I stopped going when I could no longer get away with falling asleep.

• Unfortunately, that's just representative of a church in which God's Spirit... is not.

• "Let them praise his name with dancing and make music to him with timbrel and harp." My church has electric guitar and drums, etc. Very upbeat.

• That's too bad. I'm sorry to hear that. I believe there is so much more for you in a personal relationship with God, that the Catholic church seems to overlook.

• I like church most of the time! Sorry it's boring :/ how long is it?

• I'm the EXACT same way. I love God but, church is boring to me.

• It really is boring

• Well, try to worship god in other ways. If you believe in him, then you know you can worship anywhere not just church

• every church is different, with different worship styles, preaching styles, etc
    there are more traditional churches and then more contemporary churches too.

People don't go to church to be entertained but rather to join with others who believe the same as them, receive encouragement, hear truth, and just be in community with those who love them.

I see that you are under 18... its possible when you're in college you can try out different churches, small groups, campus fellowships, etc to find a community that better suits you.