Do you support animals being kept in captivity?

This is a pretty controversial topic for me as I think all animals deserve freedom but then some don't have the intelligence to even understand what freedom is, however I believe for a FACT that our evolutionary cousins (Apes, Monkeys, etc), whales, and octopuses and any animal that shows clear levels of high intelligence (passing the mirror test, solving problems, showing clear emotion to being captive) SHOULD NOT BE HELD CAPTIVE. I think this is honestly a form of slavery to animals, if you've watched Blackfish you see how Orcas truly feel about being kept in a tank that is not even 1% of the amount of room they have to swim in the wild, they also get aggrevated daily by annoying kids and humans making an abundance of noise.

So back to my main question, or lets shorten it - Do you think animals that show high levels of intelligence should be held captive? We're talking about whales, ravens, etc. I believe the only exception to the rule is when an animal is endangered, then we have the right to keep the captive for the greater good of preserving their species.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Typically animals in captivity live much longer than wild ones. Even then.. if you free intelligent ones then you have to free all. Intelligent or not. What if only slaves who could read were set free and the others kept because they don't understand?

What Guys Said 6

• I support having pets, because there is no way I would give up my dog, cat, iguana, snakes, hamster, mouse or bird.
    As for putting animals in "captivity" you aren't an animal psychologist and neither were the people in that documentary. The people who make those documentaries run off of emotions, not rational or scientific thought.
    Logically animals are better in captivity than out in the wild. In captivity they can live long lives without worrying about predators, starvation or droughts. But in the wild they will get eaten while they are still alive by a predator. It's also to keep predators in captivity because we kill their food humanely and make sure it is clean.
    It's time to stop listening to those crazy PETA people.

• Actually I've done enough research and used a little bit of common sense as to why an animal as intelligent as an orca wouldn't want to be held in captivity.

Put yourself in these scenarios and say you have a 4-6 year old's level of intelligence because that's about the intelligence of an orca.

1 - They're taken away from their families (Like the Orca in the documentary).

2 - Forced to perform tricks for food.

3 - Forced to endure humans constantly making noise and banging on the glass of your water (or a box if you're in one).

4 - Forced to endure CONSTANT flashes from cameras.

Does this seem right? Some animals should be held in captivity but only if they're endangered.

• Also, most of the animals I mentioned are APEX PREDATORS so they have no real threat in the wild besides us, disease, or starvation.

• I wasn't talking about your orca documentary, I was referring to animals in captivity in general. Using the Orca documentary is called a straw man argument because most animals kept in captivity are treated very well and lovingly. Of course there will always be humans mistreating animals, but that's a minority. Most people want to treat animals in a loving way and will go out of their way to make sure the animal is happy.
      Also, weeks of starvation is still far more painful than whatever death they would have in captivity. Remember humans take our animals to the vet to give them painkillers so they don't suffer we also do our best to cure whatever disease they have. So their life will be a lot longer.

• I don't believe in zoos - Maybe reserves are the way forward

• if we didn't keep these animals they would jut be hunted, we are saving them by keeping them in captivity

• Some species kept in captivity are perfectly fine, and quite frankly I'd rather be hunted while being free then be held in a cage while idiots take pictures of me, force me to perform tricks, and scream loudly.

• really cause I rather be safe

• no not in general, but if its for human good like medicines I don't see a problem. Survival of the fittest. However I disagree keeping exotic animals in captive just cause you wanted it and had money.

• i praised that tiger in india.

• If it's for conservation then yes, but they really need good enough enclosures and lots of zoos fall a long way short I'm afraid.

What Girls Said 6

• I'm selective about what kinds of animals should be held captive. I absolutely boycott SeaWorld but support animal sanctuaries that rescue animals. It's not such a black and white issue. There are animals injured or orphaned in the wild, and also many endangered species. In those cases, captivity is acceptable, for those animals' protection. The more that can possibly stay wild, the better. But the world has to change, and people need to stop interfering with natural habitats and hunting or poaching animals. On occasion some need population control, but that's small in comparison to animals that should be saved. It's going to take a lot of work over time for things to balance out.

• I don't support circuses that exploit animals like elephants as entertainment. I also don't support zoos or aquariums and not even the ones the claim to conserve their species (perserving their natural habitat would be more effective). I think animals belong in the wild. And to use them only as a source of our entertainment is pretty selfish and cruel.

• I mean some animals that are really endangered (with about less then 1,000 members left) need to be preserved to keep their life expectancy up so they can reproduce and make a viable population.

This is honestly the only time it's justified, yes they're in captivity but more is at stake.

• I disagree. When you breed animals in zoos/aquariums, most of the time they can't survive if they were to be released in the wild. People that come into zoos are attracted to baby animals more than anything, zoos benefit financially by having them around. Their primary reason isn't to conserve their species it's to get money in their pockets. If you wanna know more about it you can do more research

• Yes and no.

For human entertainment, no.

For the conservation of their species, yes.

• Also for study, but study can't really be considered a form of human entertainment. Most of the time when scientists keep animals in captivity for study it's not permanent, but we need to understand these animals better and their behaviors.

• Most of the time they (researchers) end of killing them. (At least in agriculture research)

Also, an animal's behavior is optimally studied in it's natural habitat. I can't quite justify study. Unless a cure for a species threatening disease is needed (how is this spread so we can stop it), I can't see having a captive population justified just to understand the species. They're really not meant to be understood, they're animals and deserve to be left alone in their habitat. That's my idea on it at least.

• I don't like it if they're abused for entertainment, but if an animal in endangered or on the brink of it I think rehabilitation centers would be perfectly fine.

• I would say both because u have to think about the pro's and con's for both sides. If an animal is in captivity it would be getting what it needs to survive although it would lose basic hunting and survival skills. But animals sometimes get attached to their caretakers in captivity. However in the wild they would be in their natural habitat but their is a greater risk of them being killed or even running into poachers. Captivity provides safety but Freedom provides nature and the circle of life.

• No man. I won't even go to zoos anymore.