Should I attempt to enlist with the Coast Guard?

I've been thinking about enlisting after I finish up at my 2 year school. My Dad was in the Coast Guard and I am going to ask him about it, but I wanted to hear other opinions.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Just make sure you know that it is what you want. Joining any branch of military is a hell of a commitment that is going to be grueling. I suggest you start doing intense exercising on a daily basis to prepare yourself for it. No one wants to be labelled as "private pyle"

• I am in pretty good shape, I had my last junk food day for a while. I am going to start training harder. More jogging, calisthenics and weight training.

• Do a lot of swimming they are going to have you in the pool at lot in basic training for coast guard. I suggest do laps in the pool while wearing a small weighted vest. They do things like wearing full uniform in the water and holding weights and staying up. Practice things like keeping your head above water without using your arms.

• Thanks for the advice, I just need to find myself a pool.

What Girls Said 3

• Yeah, do what you love

• do what you gotta do

• That's totally up to you. I admire your desire to serve your country, but just keep in mind that while the benefits are great, so are the downfalls. It's a HUGE commitment, and once you sign that contract you become government property until it's up.
    Think long and hard if you're ready for that.

• I've been thinking about it the past couple of days. I'm not sure what direction life is pulling me in. I want to get a graduate degree, but that will be expensive, and I'm not even sure if I want to continue with the major I switched to.

What Guys Said 5

• ''I've been thinking about it the past couple of days''.

Dude, I'd put a bit more thought into it then a couple of days? There is a good chance you might not enjoy it. So, Just think about it some more yeah?

Like, I've been thinking for a year or so now about Joining the Army, And, Even im still not sure, But, I think im leaning much more towards yes now. But yeah dude, Joining a Military branch is a Big Descision, Dont jump into it ;)

• I am giving myself plenty of time to come to a decision. I'll be thinking over it for about a year.

• Don't let anyone tell you what you should do. This is a big decision so make sure you are 100% about it before enlisting. It is a good cares though.

• Why not - Honourable profession

• That will be a very valuable experience in your life. By the way, why not the Navy?

• I am keeping that as an option also, but I like the perks of the Coast Guard.

• The Coast Guard is small and I beleive it was hard to get into in the past. heck the requirements. military can really change you for the good but think about college too. I did both as I served with the National Guard. Maybe join a reserve unit but you could be deployed. My nephew just got out of Airborne. it made a real man out of him.