Dreams of being shot in the head?

Okay, a bit of a weird question here but I've had this dream repeatedly now and I really start to wonder if it could have some sort of deeper meaning maybe? I'm actually not a really supersticious person but whenever I've had dreams repeating themselves (usually about completely irrelevant, harmless stuff) in the past they ended up happening in reality... In this dream, however, I am standing in the rain on what appears to be a rooftop or something like that, there's a person wearing a leather jacket standing a few metres away from me, pointing a gun at me. I never never manage to see the face of the person before I am shot in the head. I usually wake up feeling completely disturbed and find it hard to go back to sleep then. I've had this dream repeatedly over the past 3-2 months and now just wonder if there might be some sort of meaning behind this? Or even whether there's a way to stop these dreams?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think something in your life is troubling you greatly. And that something is the manifestation of the shot - so to speak.
    What's troubling you the most - what has been troubling you for 3 or more months?

• Hmm.. actually there's not been any special events in particular but about 3 months ago I have made my firm choices for universities and am now waiting for the confirmation after having completed my final exams - my grandma also really got worse about 3 months ago (she's in a nursing home) and don't think she is gonna live until 2016 but I never worried about her because she is really old and dying is something that will happen to all of us one day so I kind of made peace with the thought..

• Hmm yeah maybe it's just the uni pressure, if it's that it should stop as soon as I know my results which would be pretty soon hopefully haha I can't wait now :) thank you for MHO!

• Cool!
      Hopefully it will all pass soon. =)

Thank YOU for the MHO!

What Guys Said 9

• I used to get shot in dreams fairly often. It would wake me up, actually. Unpleasant.

Dreams do not have any meaning, though. Generally when dreams 'come true', it is a case of confirmation bias.

Dreaming occurs when your mind approaches consciousness while your brain is organizing date - moving things around, putting things into long-term memory from short term memory... things like that. Think of it as the brain defragging, if you are familiar with how computers keep themselves organized. Your brain is a pattern-recognition machine, so as it approaches consciousness, it is trying to understand what is happening, and so it attaches a narrative to the events it 'sees', in order to try and make sense of the random data.

So if you are getting shot in the head, repeatedly, it could be something like there is something giving you a slight headache while you sleep - some dehydration or something perhaps. While your brain is dreaming, it feels that minor pain. It tries to interpret what would cause that, based on the patterns it has access to, and it has decided that 'pain in the brain must mean I've been shot'... so that is the narrative it attaches to the feeling, mixed with some of the imagery it has been filing away somewhere (which would probably be something concerned with leather or a jacket or something like that).

Do not put any worry into it having 'hidden' meaning, per se. The meaning will be physical in that it simply has to do with your brain processing information in the normal way. As for ways to stop them... you can sometimes adjust your dreams by sleeping in a different position. This causes the blood to flow slightly differently in your brain, and can cause different areas to become more or less noticeable. You can also look into things that might be causing your brain to think it is hurting... so if it is something like dehydration, perhaps try drinking some water before you go to bed.

• I drink a lot of water though and I don't feel anything like headaches when (as in before or after) I have these dreams usually.. They just repeat themselves so often and it's always the same scenery and event.. I will try sleeping in a different position though, thank you.

• Yes, eventually. Your brain processes information while you sleep, so if you keep having the dreams, and keep thinking about the dreams, it will keep having to process information related to the dream... which could cause you to have it again. A lot of it will happen subconsciously, so even if you actively try to avoid thinking about it, there will be trickles of it in your subconscious for a while, but the more you go without thinking, the less you should need to process, and the less you'll have floating in your head to trigger another dream.

• Okay I'll try to distract myself whenever I remember the dream then and see if that works, thanks a lot!

• Dreams are just your mind wandering. Most of the time they don't have too much substance. I have dreams like that but usually I go out guns blazing and in a hail of bullets.

• I had dreams of being suffocated - Just hope whatever stresses in the background that are causing these dreams will pass and then you will have more restful nights.

• How did you manage to make it stop though?

• Dreams don't have meaning there is something in the background making you think strange thing - Are you stressed out about anything at the moment?

• No not really more than usual..

• Damn, that sounds horrible! D:
    I hope you stop dreaming about this! I doubt it has any meaning. If that were the case I'd be in a world made of chocolate! xD

• Had that dream once, only the person who shot me was my own father. Which is really strange, because he and I are like best friends.

• Oh that's scary.. How long ago did you have this dream? And did anything special happen afterwards?

• That was like ten years ago. Nothing happened. Never told anyone.

• I wouldn't tell anyone in real life about this either I think.. but good to know nothing happened in your case :) Kinda calms me down a little hh

• If I was you, I would take all measures to evade death. I would pray. Repeated dreams are usually sign.

• You mean like a premonition? .. But why would anyone shoot me in the head? I might have been a bitch sometimes but I have never given anyone a reason to do that really..

• You mean like a premonition. It may not be a physical shot in the head. Maybe your on a path of destruction, maybe someone your love is a backstabber? I'm not a dream reader so I would not know these things.

• Thanks for your input anyways!

• Someone's been playing Persona 3.

• I fantasize about being shot in the head a lot actually haha

• That's horrible, why would you fantasise about that?

• I get frustrated with myself or my life and just feel like it's a clean escape. It's just a fantasy not going to happen

• Yeah just always keep your family and friends in mind as well

• I wish I could have cool dreams again. Lately I haven't had any that I can remember.

What Girls Said 4

• You're on a path of self-destruction.. Be careful, my child. The thorns can hurt you.. Be careful -talks in a creepy old lady voice&

• Maybe it is your unconciousness processing your fears. Perhaps you feel threatened or attacked by someone in your life? Are you being pressured? It could even be something you didn't realise bothered you.

• Your brain is messing with you. Try to get relaxed before sleeping.

• Are you worried or feeling guilty about something?

• No, not really. I'm still waiting for the confirmation of my university offers but I'm not like majorly concerned about it..