If you were so rich you did not have to work for a living, would you be happy or sad?

I once knew a guy who did not have to work for a living and he was was extremely miserable. He had nothing to do all day so he was online for 16 - 18 hours a day flagging morally offensive ads. He also had to lie to his friends and pretend he had a job so they wouldn't get jealous of him or look down on him for not working for a living. He could not find a wife because everybody was after his money and when he got a wife she treated him like garbage and used him for his money and they were divorced almost a year later.

Most Helpful Guy

• That has more to do with the kind of person your acquaintance is, then just his money. I have a friend, a real friend, who do not have to work for a living. He's not miserable. He's a good guitar player and plays every other week with a band. He has a girlfriend who is also privileged and owns a store that sells musical instruments and song books. Know how they meet? Through their love of music.

Have money or not, if we want to not be miserable all we have to do is find our passion. I'd be happy if i don't have to work for a living! I'd buy video equipment, make funny-stupid videos, post them online, and make people laugh. I'd also use the money to make wind power generators, i've always been fascinated by them.

What Guys Said 16

• If I was in that situation where I just had so much money, more than I was ever going to spend in my life time. I think I would not work but I would volunteer at a couple of places instead. I would do this to help them, so I got out of the house and meet people.

• If I was in that situation I would choose volunteering rather than working because it is a completely different situation to working. Less stress, less of "why have you not done this or that", more of a friendly and social environment, you can usually pick the day you want to volunteer and if you can't make it in for some reason that generally is accepted. Much more relaxed environment than working. So if I had so much money, more than I was ever going to spend that is what I would do.

• I would be happy... if I had that kind of money I surely would not waste my days in front of the computer. Everyday would be a new adventure. I would travel, explore different areas and do things that most people could not afford to do.

When dating I would dress very casually and drive a somewhat wore out used car. I would pretend to be not that wealthy so I could find someone who was not a gold digger. If she proved herself worthy of more trust maybe then I would reveal my stacks of gold

• As someone who grew up poor and while isn't poor but still struggling financially, I would be ecstatic if I were to become rich. I would be able to fulfill all my dreams, including pursuing a music career, traveling the world, and doing everything I can to help others.

That guy having nothing to do all day was his own fault. He didn't have nothing to do because he was rich. In fact, he could've done almost ANYTHING because of his wealth. He's just a boring person.

• I'd be extremely happy, cause I know that I won't have any problem to sustain myself, and I don't HAVE to work, but I will still get a job so that I have something to do. I will work somewhere with great hours, and somewhere fun, since I don't care how much I will earn, I can basically get an easy job for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, and then come home and do whatever the hell I want.
    THAT'S the dream.

• I feel like I would get exhausted of having nothing to do...
    But if I would find something to do during it, maybe I could make it work.

• I don't think I'd be 100% happy but I don't imagine it would be that bad.

Did he win the lottery or did he inherit his money?

• I would have to do something. So I would volunteer a lot of get a part time job I didn't need and donate that money to charity.

• Being rich can get rid of a lot of problems and create some new ones. He could have found a woman not after his money by going somewhere and living & working like he doesn't have much. There have been studies that show that happiness doesn't go up much after people hit $75k a year. something like 80% of people in the world are happy and of the rich 86% are happy.

• That's kind of what I think too - once you hit $75 000 - you don't need any more unless you have health problems or a child with disabilities etc...

• But people want more, and that drives productivity.

• I would be happy but not because I don't have to work. I would be happy because I know I have the money there if I ever need it for emergencies or my family. Plus if I one day decide I simply wish to retire and travel the world or buy the car or home of my dreams I can do so without a second thought or worry. All that money would give me a real sense of security.

• I would probably still work

• Happy happy happy... Money = Freedom

• I'd be happy. I'd travel da world n learn different skills n meet some international babes.

• I would just travel and party all day all night

• I would be happy but keep my money undercover.

• Happy but I think you inevitable get sad and bored after a while. Psychologically, we love earning rewards. When you get to the end of a game, it suddenly becomes boring, there's not much to earn or progress. When you have so much money, it's like you beat the game, you rule the world. You turn into pricks like justin bieber.

• Some people, like my parents, who are rich but not super rich, still love to work. They like having substance in their life

What Girls Said 4

• I'd be very happy since I don't know what I wanna do as a job anyways and I'm quite lazy. Plus you don't have to have a boring life just because you're rich and you don't have to work. You can actually do fun stuff with that money, have to know how to take advantage of it. That dude obviously didn't.

• There are people who just can't be happy or get themselves in trouble when they have a lot of money. I know this guy who inherited a huge amount of money but partied so much he got kicked out of everywhere he lived and now he and his wife live in the bushes in the Dollar General parking lot. I'd enjoy having that security knowing my family was taken care of.

• A part of me wants to say happy, but I think the satisfaction and appreciation of working for my wants and needs would diminish. So, no, I don't think I would be happy.

• I'd be happy. A bit sad but, mostly happy. The world is big and your rich. Travel!