Hot Topic: Transgendered people?

I apologize for the rant, and for potentially offending anyone

I've always accepted homosexuality, infact I consider myself a pretty liberal person. However, there's no way to say it without apparently sounding ignorant -- I'm not sure if I believe in transgendered people.

Maybe it's because I really don't get it. There's this male (former female) at work and they are currently in the process of transitioning to a male. We call him by a new name and everything. I really don't understand how one can live their entire life as one gender and then all of a sudden come out as actually another gender.

What also bothers me is the drastic transition to LOOK like the "other gender" anyways -- as a woman there is more to being a woman than large breasts and dresses.

I also look at it like this -- let's say there is a white American male, and he lives his entire life truly believing he was Chinese. So he lives his life like that, and going so far as to get surgery to look the part too -- does that make him Chinese or still American?

Once again, I apologize for the rant, and for potentially offending anyone. I would love to hear stories, and opinions.

Warmly!

Most Helpful Guy

• 1) America

2) Don't be a hater

3) Great thing is that your opinion does not fucking matter because its not your life!

• 1) Canada

2) Not a hater

3) Your opinion about my opinion does not fucking matter because it's not your life!

• Wrong. My opinion does matter because you asked for it. Either way, don't try to feel offended by it... because I am correct. I don't understand transgender people but they certainly have a place in our society and they have the right to dignity and respect as all forms of life do. Now if they were killing or harassing someone else to keep peace about their lives... then that would be an issue.

• I likely would have taken your second opinion far more seriously. I did not fully mention I hate transgendered people. I merely am saying I don't understand it. This is still a recent thing -- maybe not recent but it's becoming more and more open. I know I'm not the only one who is confused. Don't automatically assume people like myself are ignorant.

What Guys Said 8

• Okay, first of all, your comparison with Chinese people is a very bad one. In fact, it could even be understood in a racist way. I know you didn't mean it that way and I understand you just wanted to illustrate your point (so this is not an accusation), but still, I needed to say this. Why? Because whether your a white American male or Chinese or African or Inuit or an Australian aborigine - your still a human being. There is no significant biological difference between the different ethnicities. Of course Asians have smaller eyes and African people have darker skin but these are all very superficial traits. If you made an experiment and let a black and a white person grow up under the exact same conditions, they would have a very similar life. The only difference would be due to their individual character. The only significant difference between a Chinese and an American guy is due to culture - not biology. Culture is learned, biology isn't. This is not the same for men-women. Women are profoundly different from a men - on a biological level.
    Thus, an American guy who does surgery to look Chinese doesn't actually become Chinese, because the whole cultural part is missing. However, a man who does surgery to become a woman DOES become a woman - at least physically.
    Now, you are right in pointing out that boobs and a vagina is not everything. There are also inner qualities. But see, this is exactly the whole point why these people want to change their sex: their inner parts ARE ALREADY the one of the opposite sex. Science hasn't quite figured out why it's like that but it is a scientific fact that some people simply feel wrong in their bodies. I regard myself a very mild form of a transgender. I would never do a surgery but for some reason, I've always wished I had been born as a girl. I really can't tell you why, it's just a feeling. I am a pretty feminine (homosexual btw) guy and I don't feel very comfortable among most other guys. Now, I guess you could just call this gender. Some girls like to fix cars and some guys like to do their nails. Big deal. Just be a feminine guy. But it's not that easy, because there are guys out there who feel MUCH stronger about this whole thing than I do. They are truly unhappy in their body. They feel like a girl, act like a girl, think like a girl - but are trapped in a man's body. Also, you are very wrong in assuming this change happens "suddenly". It is always the result of years/decades of struggling to fit in.

• Apparently, male and female brains are wired slightly differently. In transgender people, they tend to be wired similarly (though not completely) to the gender they feel themselves to be.
    Your Chinese example is a little off because I think that would specifically be a societal thing. Like, something in society would have to make being/looking Chinese better and denigrate white males which would play on that white American male to attempt to alter his looks. Because culturally, he could ingratiate himself into it. There are plenty of those types of people that are so into the culture of other countries or parts of the world where they include it in most aspects of their lives.

And I'm sure being a woman isn't about large breasts and dresses to mtf transgenders either. I think it's a sense of normalcy for who they feel they should be and I think it helps the rest of society see them as how they want to be seen anyway.

• If your a male your a male. If your a female your a female. For example, if a male changes his gender to female. That "female" won't get periods, won't ovulate, can't give birth etc. Trans is a cheap kickoff of the real thing as your missing the organs real female has. It's like me taking the body off of a Bugatti and putting on a Honda Accord and calling fast. Sure it will look like a Bugatti but under the body it's still a slow economy car.

• Your problem is that you (and most people here) are committing a logical fallacy called "argument from personal incredulity". It's a very similar type of ignorance that homophobic people have. You're basically saying that because you personally can't imagine that any guy could feel like a girl or that any girl could feel like a guy, it cannot possible (homophobic men would argue that they would never kiss another guy, hence it must be unnatural). But believe it or not, there are people who feel like the other gender. They don't act that way to provoke people. Or do you REALLY think these people go through years of struggling because they behave so "strangely", through months or years of hormone therapies, through surgeries etc. just to get some attention? No. These people really FEEL WRONG in their bodies. They are deeply unhappy. Their surgery might not make them into a perfect member of the opposite sex, but it makes them happy, it gives them self-respect. And that is wha it's about.

• "You're basically saying that because you personally can't imagine that any guy could feel like a girl or that any girl could feel like a guy, it cannot possible". That is where you are wrong. My above was argument is medically speaking you are still a guy. Women have ovaries, mammary glands, a womb to conceive a child. A male doesn't have these things. My argument is the internals of a woman cannot be faked, only the outside appearance. Regardless of how they "feel", their internal organs say otherwise. They are also void of things women experience like periods.

• whatever you are born with is what you will always be. Surgery or no surgery.

If born a male then you are a male. Wear a wig say your a female, but you'll still always be a male.

Same if someone want to be Chinese from a white guy. He'll always be what he's born with.

What about the human barbie and superman. Just because they got surgery to look like someone else doesn't make it so.

• Transgendered people are mentally ill.
    Instead of trying to help them solve their mental illness, we turn their penises inside out to make a 'vagina'.

• I agree, I think that they are just taking being gay farther than it should

• This isn't a hot topic here.

• I agree, its rather stupid. If you're a man, how on earth do you know what a woman feels like?

I also know this transgender person and I call refer to him as he and use his male name to remind him he'll never be a woman.
    They're just lying to themselves.

What Girls Said 3

• It's not "sudden" though it might seem like it. These people feel trapped and they can't tell anyone or else people will poke fun or call them strange. Like the transgendered kid who said his parents were unwilling to accept the fact that she was transgendered. A lot of them feel a mental disconnection with their physical form--as if they didn't develop how they should. There is nothing wrong with their bodies though--I think it's all in the psyche.

Women are of course more than breasts and vagina. But that is one of our distinctive traits that separate us from men. So to remove these or do surgery on them will emulate the look of a male.

Also, "American" doesn't automatically mean "white". We are multi-cultural. If a white male feels that he's Chinese and gets surgery, he would look more Chinese but it depends on what people from the outside think. I know that there are white South Africans and white Chinese people (born in China and believe they're Chinese even if they don't look it). I also know that people believe that if you've moved to a different place, you "become" a native or someone from that place. Like if I moved to Sweden, I would be considered Swedish (I think that's silly and reaching).

• I don't know. I support people being able to do what feels comfortable for them. I have a transgender friend and feel perfectly fine around her. But yeah the technicalities are tough to think about... But honestly it doesn't matter to me if my bestie is "really" a guy.

• Whatever our opinions are, it's legal. That is an objective view on this matter.