For Star Trek geeks: is the transporter actually a mass execution chamber?

So I was wondering if the transporter, that is widely used in Star trek universe, is actually killing people?

It works like this: a person being transported is broken down on molecular level and transformed into digital information. This information is then sent to a desired location where the transported person is "assembled" from that information. In my opinion, that is not *the same* person as the one that stepped on transporter pad but merely a (perfect) copy. It's like scanning a document in Sydney, sending it via email to an office in London and then printing it there. But when doing it with living beings it also means that the orginal dies. His consciousness is gone, replaced by a copy, that thinks (and feels) he is the original. But in fact it's not.

It even happened once in Star Trek when Riker was copied due to a transporter failure and his duplicate thought he was the original. However, I think *both* of them were duplicates.

So if we go further with this thought we can end up with terrifying truth: every Starfleet officer is actually a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy...

• I never thought of it like that but I guess you're right...
  • No, you're wrong and you don't get it. (explain why)
  • I was thinking about it before and came to same conclusion.
  • No way. Star Trek is awesome and everything there is perfect so no need to think about it.
  • What is Star Trek? Transporter? What are you people talking about?

Most Helpful Guy

• your analogy with the printer isn't quite correct. its not scanning emailing and printing elsewhere, its scanning emailing and reconstructing the exact piece of paper elsewhere

but you're right

• I know, my analogy wasn't correct. But yours isn't either. You see, first step isn't scanning. It's disintegrating or, shall we say, destroying. That person stops to exist and his perfect copy is formed elsewhere.

What Girls Said 2

• It's about pulling apart and putting back together.
    So it's not a copy. In the case of Riker as I remember something went wrong. So his molecules were not put back together in exactly the same order or the required environment was not the same.

• If it's the same water in a different container, the water still has the same properties. After you are stuffed into an elevator, you are the same when you get out. I think the producers created that concept to incorporate the science of molecules in a unique way to intruige the viewer. They were always doing weird things with Riker's persona in that series. Remember the time the crew went into that one officer's fantasy hologram thing and the guy had programmed Riker to be a midget?

What Guys Said 3

• If you go around breaking everything down to that degree of logic - You will have a very complicated life - Easier just to think they are moving from A to B

• what do you think @Deft_maiden?

• In theory it is but then the question arises DOES IT MATTER? It is just a tv show and no one on it has thought like that. Yea some have been nervous about it but does it really matter?