Do you agree with public shaming as a form of discipline?

I am referring to by punishing your children and video filming it. The video is uploaded to the internet for every one to see.

(This seems to be the new form of punishment that is accompanied by our boost in technology).
(I have seen videos of children getting beaten badly, or getting awful hair cuts) etc.
-----

http://jezebel.com/13-year-old-girl-dies-by-suicide-after-dad-shares-publi-1708967488

13 year old Izabel Laxamana committed suicide by jumping off a bridge on May 29.
Just a day after a video was uploaded by her father.
He cut off her long hair for disobeying him (what did she was never stated and is unclear).
Other articles state, this young girl had also been bullied in school and this added additional stress to her life.

Sorry for the few typos.

Most Helpful Guy

• @Stacyzee I disagree with it, once it is on the internet it can never be removed and will live with the child as they become an adult. Plus the fact that for teens, it has the potential to cause much more harm than any parent could ever imagine (as evident by your link).

What Guys Said 13

• that sounds weird... when I read the title at first I thought it meant like shutting someone down in front of everyone lol. like totally emasculating some prick who is trying to mess with me.

that public shaming thing with the kids though just sounds weird as fuck. I wouldn't do it.

• Any parenting tactic will come under scruteny as soon as some child takes their life. Correct me if I'm wrong but there have been dumbasses who took their lives because their iPhones were taken away. Should we discredit taking away iPhones when needed? No.

• I have seen uses of public shaming that I thought were rather good, such as having the child stand on the side of a road wearing a sign that proclaimed that they were a bully, or a thief, or a liar, or whatever.
    I have also seen videos of a father putting five rounds of.45ACP through the laptop of his unappreciative daughter; and a father using a ride-on lawn mower to destroy his son's XBox game collection.
    Delinquent children need to experience consequences. The more severe and public the consequences, the more that they will remember the lesson.

• Well, it certainly seems to be a fairly effective way of getting the pain of having to raise your kids properly off your back. Other than that, it seems like a particularly ineffective way of getting your point across.

• There are better ways to give out discipline of course, but someone who is mentally stable would not kill themselves for this. It seems like she just needed one more random event to make her feel bad and she was going to kill herself, it just so happened to be her father cutting her hair. So, I feel like everyone is trying to find a scapegoat for this and not actually dealing with the real problem here, mental health issues. Which people almost always seem to not take seriously.

• No, seems childish of the parent.

• This is just sick

• It's abuse. Pure and simple.

• Not in the publicplease

• life is tough.

• Video is no way to do it. But when th E immediate public is aware of you offenses, people tend to consider their actions more

• huhhhhhhhhh. what a waste. and she was so cute too. pretty skin and eyes.

• I don't agree with uploading it to the internet but walking around target with a big sign would be ok

What Girls Said 9

• No, I don't agree with it. Parents are supposed to be able to fairly discipline and look after their children, not publicly humiliate them with a video that can't be removed and could follow the child forever.

• I don't think it's right, it's awful really. They are putting their kids down in front of everyone, and wanting praise for it as well. Some of the lengths they go to is really sickening.

• This kind of shaming of children and making a video and posting it online for the world to see for the rest of your child's life (if Internet still exists) is just wrong. Those parents are in it for themselves, wanting to hear how great of parents they are because they discipline their child. It's for their ego alone.

• I don't. That's a form of bullying. I won't be the parent to bully their child 😠

• So.. not only did he punish her already by cutting of her beautiful hair that is in itself already incredibly painful to endure, he punished her a second time by publishing it for family members and everyone else to see?
    That father is sickening.

• Once it's uploaded, it's forever there as in this case where the friend saved that video and could repost it after the father took it down.

Some parents don't know how to raise kids with positive reinforcement.

• I think it's wrong to put a child on show over social media for the soul purpose of embarrassing them, why somebody would rather inflict that pain on their children rather than giving them another form of discipline is beyond me

• I disagree completely. I just feel that how you raise your child isn't really someone else's business. By recording it and putting it everywhere you're throwing your business and your child's business out for everyone to see.

• Her father should be ashamed of himself

• Poor girl, such a horrible thing to do.