Why is it so hard for people to be positive?

Like its enough negativity in the world, why is being positive so hard? Everyone is just so quick to jump on the negative boat and row to negativity land. I'm always finding myself trying to be positive about situations, but then there's always that one person who has something negative to say that ruins everything. Or when we aren't true to ourselves and we THINK it's always 'one size fits all' or 'if they can't make it, how will I?' Why not tell yourself otherwise? Why not be positive?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think a lot of it has to do with our culture. Negative people are seen as "realists" while positive people are seen as "diluted" "dreamers" etc. What many people don't seem to realize is that we human beings have a great power to change our environment. Although we all get down sometimes I would rather be called a "dreamer" and work to change our environment for the better than a "realist" who just shrugs and mindlessly accepts the way things are.

I know its hard but stay positive :)

What Guys Said 5

• Unfortunately, some people may not know what positivity is. Some ppl's upbringing has been filled with so much negativity that being positive feels foreign to them.

• yeah its good to be positive, can't expect everyone to be positive though right.

• I try to be as positive as possible

• personally i'm possitive... i don't let bad things bring me down :D

• Negativity is contagious, earlier it spread on sight, right now it is spreading on internet too

• It's always spreading on this wonderful place you call the 'internet'.

• No, it wasn't way back in the 90's when internet was new and there were no dot com websites. They were all dot gov or dot edu

What Girls Said 5

• Negativity is a natural state of our mind. We are filled with self doubt and fear.

• True.

But unfortunately much easier said that done.

That's a whole new way of thinking.
    One must train themselves in order to do so.

Negative outcomes sometimes, are more realistic occurrences depending on the situation.

• I understand. I'm truly trying everyday to think positive. It's a journey but it's so worth it. Because I'm still in the beginner stage of this, any kind of negativity sort of breaks me apart.

• As a realist, I can very /honestly/ say, that unconditional optimism is incredibly annoying. Sometimes bad things happen, and you need to accept that rather than pretending it isn't so bad.

• Also, many people suffer from chemical imbalances which lead to depression. You can't just tell a depressed person to be positive, it's like telling a shy person to not be shy. It doesn't work like that.

• Depression is a different ball park. I didn't mention it for a reason. I want to leave that out. I feel like seeking help for depression is key and on a positive note, depression CAN be treated. You ultimately have to make that sacrifice if you want to fix it though. Nothing comes easy...

• @asker not all bad things are learning experiences... Example: say my mom dies of cancer. Learning experience? Oh right, there is none. There are an endless supply of situations like these where people around them are telling them to look on the bright side. I'm all for moving on, but sometimes bad things happen and positivity makes it worse. Now in day to day living, positivity has it's place. But as I said... /unconditional/ optimism is horrible.

• Sadness is very addictive

• I don't think i could be positive with a person who plays dumb or just takes advantage of people's good heartness here.